Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Primes but wont turn over.

Cheekynandos95

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Holden Commodore Classic
FYI I'm totally new to cars and dont know much about them.
1994 Holden VR
Hey, so my car primes but it refuses to turn over. I had a flat battery yesterday (because my alternator is busted) so I charged it over night and put it back in this morning. And when I went to start it. It struggled to turn over, then it stopped altogether. And now it won't even try to turn. All my head lights, dashboard lights work, and the fuses are ok, and I can hear it prime but it just won't start.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm wondering if your Starter Motor is cactus and is trying to draw way too much current.

Having a stuffed alternator isn't helping your cause. While you are at it I would check the red lead that comes off the back of the alternator and see if the cable is still sound or whether it's been melted and disfigured or come loose where it's held on by a single nut under the rubber boot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think your battery is cactus, running it down really low is a pretty quick way to sulphite the plates, charging it up may help but the damage to the battery might make it too far gone.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Those starter motors have a bad habit of reflecting this same situation with most folks pointing to the battery. This same scenario was the case in my lads Commodore.

How old is the battery ? and how long has this faulty alternator been in play as well ?

Many people initially always blame the battery when in fact it's a battery lead / starter motor issue. The best way would be to get the battery deep cycle tested. That would then certainly clarify that part decisively.

If this battery is 4 years old or older then the battery may well be the culprit, but if it's a 2 year old unit or thereabouts, then I'd be looking else where.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe try your starter relay swap it over with head lights. Then still nothing your starter or battery is cactus.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm blaming the battery VSL because it hasn't been kept at the right charge. As you know deep discharging is the quickest way to kill a battery fast, a non-functional alt will aid in killing a battery as it will get well below the safe 12.2v voltage level that it needs to be kept at before full charging. My experience with the factory SMs is they will go click when the brushes wear out, rather than struggle to turn over the small V6.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Trevor, can't see how changing a relay which is simply a switch will make an engine turn over slowly. It will either be click, click or nothing at all.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh,
Happy to agree with you on all points, but seeing where the battery is at is a priority. Sourcing another or a jump start as a trial will give us all the relevant info we need I guess.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Absolutely I wouldn't be buying a new one without first fully charging it, then getting it load tested.