Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car ramps

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi, needing to bite the bullet and get a jack or car ramps, would prefer car ramps and I'm wondering if these are suitable for a ve ss? Car's been lowered so im presuming ill need some planks of would aswell. Thankyou

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...e-1000kg/574318.html?cgid=SCA01130604#start=1

also found these at repco

https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-e...-blue-car-ramps-pair-1000kg-mpbpcr/p/A5537458
Ramps are too problematic with a standard ride height SS never mind a lowered one. I always use a jack and stands with my SV6 and SSV as they won’t go up ramps and both my cars are standard ride height.

Make sure you get a jack with a low profile so it can fit under the car.

H

harrop.senator

Ramps are only good for fourbies in my opinion. Super low profile Jack and good stands is the way to go but you're looking at $3-500 for the set up.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Nothing wrong with metal ramps (Superthief variety) IMO but you need longer run up than they have.
I built my ramps from 1" x 1/8" angle for a lowered HR in the 60,s and still use them today, but I also use cut down painters planks at 1.4 metres long for extra run up cause the run up on mine are 800 mm with height of 280 mm

edit.. just noticed you mentioned extra wood for run up so timber sleepers will work as good as painters planks and readily available at Bunnings or any landscape yard or timber outlet..

DSCN0729.JPG
DSCN0728.JPG

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
there are some ramps that work. i have a set of alloy ones made by a guy in northern nsw. i have eibach pro kit springs and i can just get up. they are longer with a slower incline rate. might take some hunting but they are out there.
cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need low ramps, like 70mm rise. The ramps you linked will foul

H

harrop.senator

Oh trust me I wish I found ramps worked easily. But anyone who does anything with wheels off and not just changes the oil. Needs a good jack anyway so it's how I get round unless it's a 4wd.

I've never bothered making any or paying the costs to have them made. I'm just talking about any of the generic ramps I've had mates own , or the ones I had for four wheel drives and the truck.

Even not lowered modern cars struggled between where they start and how fast the angle going up is. They need to be decently long to work with something modern especially if lowered. Everything sits so much lower now then 40+ years ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are ramps on eBay for under $40 the pair. They are about 70mm rise. They just give you enough height to get a standard floor jack underneath, which means you don't have to go to the expense of a low profile jack.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I can't get my car up any ramps.

I use a low profile jack to lift it and either slide the ramps under the tyres or just use jack stands depending on what I need to raise it for.