Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car randomly died, then fans staying on after cars turned off...

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I would be looking for another engine, before it dies completely. Were the heads recoe'd 5 months ago? Machined etc? Or just cleaned and replaced with new gaskets? Sounds like the second option to me. And your temp sensor seems not to be doing its job either. Genuine 3/4 temp is not enough to stall your car. I am agreeing with "wanna". You may have cooked it.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
had the same problem with the fans

it's a faulty relay

$10 fix but cost a $100 battery

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Starting problems could be CAS or ingntion coil. If it has weak or erratic spark then it will be rich A/F.

Simsy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I would be looking for another engine, before it dies completely. Were the heads recoe'd 5 months ago? Machined etc? Or just cleaned and replaced with new gaskets? Sounds like the second option to me. And your temp sensor seems not to be doing its job either. Genuine 3/4 temp is not enough to stall your car. I am agreeing with "wanna". You may have cooked it.

they were completely overhauled, new top set gasket, new spark plugs, new thermostat, new water pump..

the engine is starting but its struggling to start now.. even more then before though

Simsy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
whats the best way to check if the gaskets gone again? with the radiator cap do i have to block the feed from the coolant resovior to check it?

Simsy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
ok so i left the car over night, just went to start it, started first time, drove it around the block, temp stuck on C, few minutes later finally moved off C and worked its way up to the red, checked the engine it didnt seem overly hot,

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
take it back to whoever did the heads and tell them... they should have the **** to test it to see if its leaking and where from......
but i wouldnt let it get too hot thou or ya will do bad damage.. 3/4 is tooooo hot,

also ive had a near new thermostat that has been dodgy so still may be that

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Just a thought, are you running decent quality coolant in your cooling system? As you probably know, water boils at 100c and the pressure cap takes that up to about 108c. Your cooling system is designed to run as hot as 130c and if the coolant is not up to the correct (50%) mix the system will just boil the water out of the overflow bottle and suck air back in, same as if you had a blown head gasket. There a few good anti freeze/anti boil coolants but for price and longevity, Nulon is one of the best. It takes your boiling point to 132c @ 50% mix with soft or demineralised water. Using straight tap water is not recommended as it reduces the protective qualities of any coolant.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
the dudes should have a device that bolts to the radiator cap neck that looks like a big thermomter that will show if it's got a blown HG