Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car reaching max temp (H). Help.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the coolant filler cap is faulty, the coolant comes out but not back in as it should. There's an overflow on the reservoir and that will generally spill during driving but not when the car is turned off. So coolant loss won't be observed.

Christopher Bowles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 17'
I'd hazard to guess a faulty filler cap. $30 from Holden.
New coolant and air bleed by low pressure bleed or vacuum fill.
Top up the reservoir and then keep an eye on the reservoir over the next week or two as more air bleeds out and coolant is drawn in to replace the volume.

do you fill it up via the dex-coool section or the radiator section?

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
I had an overheating VE Alloytec a month or so back. Checking the level at the fill point I found what I thought was low coolant. Topped it up and still running hot. Turned out to be the thermostat. Bloody hard work to replace it by myself but the car has been perfect since doing so.

Have someone check the thermostat.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thought I’d add a little cooling system primer.

The coolant system should be full of coolant and without any air within the sealed side of the system (heater, engine block and radiator). The radiator cap is what seals the system but the overflow tank is an integral component and is what allows the system to “breath” as the coolant cycles through hot and cold.

The system breaths in the sence that hot fluid expands and cold fluid contracts. Expanding hot coolant must go somewhere since the system’s sealed coolant volume of fixed. This occurs when the system pressure pops the radiator cap and thus the coolant is pushed into the overflow tank by pressure. When the coolant cools and contracts, this causes a vacuum within the sealed part of the system and the radiator cap opens and sucks coolant from the overflow tank. If this does not occur you can see the top radiator hose being sucked in and squashed. If the hose from the radiator cap to the overflow tank is split or not tight on the fitting, it’s like trying to suck coke through a split straw and in such cases the sealed part of the coolant system will suck air… And just like drinking coke through a straw, the open end of the overflow tube has to sit in the coolant for it to work.

In the normal course, any top ups should be minimal and should occur at the overflow tank and normally you shouldn’t have to remove the radiator cap as it’s part of the sealed system. That’s why the overflow tank cap is coloured yellow, to show the owner it’s “owner serviceable”. Such overflow tank top ups should be rather infrequent and require low volume of coolant to be added because of the system design. In my cars I’d be unlucky if I need to top up with 200mls once a year or two..

So if one is topping up frequently, first check the radiator cap and the sealing surface where it sits. Then check the hose between the radiator and overflow tank for splits or poor fitting and also check the overflow tank bottle for splits and such. These parts are critical to correct coolant system performance.

If no faults are found with the overflow parts, then test the radiator cap for correct vacuum and pressure and test the sealed part of the system for ability to hold pressure when cold and hot.

The radiator cap is used to fill the system during coolant flushed at required intervals and shouldn’t need to be popped off by the owner for any top ups.

Coolant systems aren’t rocket science as they’ve been around for probably over 100 years but they still cause angst for owners though not sure why. Guess mechanical packaging has made it much harder for owners and mechanic to spot small coolant leaks unless they spend time and effort looking and, we’ll, we know how much effort some mechanics put into fault find those sweet smell issues…

As a side, that’s why I like overflow tanks that are visible as you can actually see the “breathing” as the overflow tank level moves up and down between the cold and hot levels and that’s a good indicator of a healthy system. And it’s why I dislike hidden overflow tanks as you loose such clear visual feedback.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So I’ve topped up the dex-cool section with water as I didn’t want to open the radiator when it was overheating.

As soon as I drove off, it started overheating again, made it home finally. Fans took forever to turn off as it was overheating.

Would it be best to take it to a mechanic or should I try and add coolant myself? If so, what’s the process in this? If it’s overheating would I need to drain the coolant still as it seems there’s none in there? Where do I add the coolant? What coolant do I get?

literally need this explained to me like I’m 5 hahaha. I’m hopeless with cars!
Putting coolant in the overflow bottle will do nothing if the car is already overheating. The coolant from the overflow is only sucked back in when the engine cools down. If there is a big air gap in the radiator because it’s not full or there is a leak in the system the coolant in the overflow won’t be pulled back into the system.

As others here have said get a mechanic to check it out as it’s probably leaking coolant from somewhere and will need to be fixed.

Also don’t drive the car if the temp gauge gets to the maximum. The red line on the temp gauge is there for a reason and your doing damage to the engine if you drive it with the temp gauge at max.

Christopher Bowles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 17'
Thought I’d add a little cooling system primer.

The coolant system should be full of coolant and without any air within the sealed side of the system (heater, engine block and radiator). The radiator cap is what seals the system but the overflow tank is an integral component and is what allows the system to “breath” as the coolant cycles through hot and cold.

The system breaths in the sence that hot fluid expands and cold fluid contracts. Expanding hot coolant must go somewhere since the system’s sealed coolant volume of fixed. This occurs when the system pressure pops the radiator cap and thus the coolant is pushed into the overflow tank by pressure. When the coolant cools and contracts, this causes a vacuum within the sealed part of the system and the radiator cap opens and sucks coolant from the overflow tank. If this does not occur you can see the top radiator hose being sucked in and squashed. If the hose from the radiator cap to the overflow tank is split or not tight on the fitting, it’s like trying to suck coke through a split straw and in such cases the sealed part of the coolant system will suck air… And just like drinking coke through a straw, the open end of the overflow tube has to sit in the coolant for it to work.

In the normal course, any top ups should be minimal and should occur at the overflow tank and normally you shouldn’t have to remove the radiator cap as it’s part of the sealed system. That’s why the overflow tank cap is coloured yellow, to show the owner it’s “owner serviceable”. Such overflow tank top ups should be rather infrequent and require low volume of coolant to be added because of the system design. In my cars I’d be unlucky if I need to top up with 200mls once a year or two..

So if one is topping up frequently, first check the radiator cap and the sealing surface where it sits. Then check the hose between the radiator and overflow tank for splits or poor fitting and also check the overflow tank bottle for splits and such. These parts are critical to correct coolant system performance.

If no faults are found with the overflow parts, then test the radiator cap for correct vacuum and pressure and test the sealed part of the system for ability to hold pressure when cold and hot.

The radiator cap is used to fill the system during coolant flushed at required intervals and shouldn’t need to be popped off by the owner for any top ups.

Coolant systems aren’t rocket science as they’ve been around for probably over 100 years but they still cause angst for owners though not sure why. Guess mechanical packaging has made it much harder for owners and mechanic to spot small coolant leaks unless they spend time and effort looking and, we’ll, we know how much effort some mechanics put into fault find those sweet smell issues…

As a side, that’s why I like overflow tanks that are visible as you can actually see the “breathing” as the overflow tank level moves up and down between the cold and hot levels and that’s a good indicator of a healthy system. And it’s why I dislike hidden overflow tanks as you loose such clear visual feedback.

absolutely love your in depth reply, I’m not a car guy at all but reading this has definitely helped for sure! really appreciate it!

Do you know how to drain the overflow tank by any chance? As I topped that up with water the other day when it was overheating to try and cool it down and I checked the dip stick of the overflow tank and it Didn’t have coolant init at all, just the water I put in. So I was going to empty the water and add coolant

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can’t. The bumper has to come off and the wheel well cover. Then you get access to the coolant bottle.