Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car "rebirthing"

jacko

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of car "rebirthing"??? Becos ive seen a story on tv about someone who bought a second hand car from a private sale and found out later that the car had been re-birthed. Apparently, rebithing is when they like steal a car and change the VIN number and Rego and stuff and sell it.

You`d be really P!$$*d off wouldnt ya! And the bad news--- the person didnt get his car back and paid over $25,000 for it in the first place!!!

Cheerz,

JaCkO....

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
thats why you check all the papers and everything before you buy a car

Ed74mnd

Reaction score
I got chumped by a Bike dealer once on a rebirthed motorcycle...

12 months later I got my money back thru Dept Fair trading.. the dealer didnt check it out proper before he sold it on to me.

Cheers

zEd

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's definately out there but will slow a little due to the written off vehicles register being implemented. Best way is to be cautious with any private sales where you can't approach the department of fair trading if your wronged. Run a rego and history check, REVS check and check the written off vehicles register I mentioned above. Check for signs of a respray or colour change, making sure the colour code on the comp plate matches the genuine colour of the car. Sub standard compliance plate fixtures and condition, substandard engine number punching (Most have a pattern that must be copied spot on), also check for evident of an engine swap by examining the mounts etc.

Personally I think they're a pack of bastards, anyone who can rip off someones pride and joy has no idea how much some people put into their cars. Then to rebirth it and rip someone else off....

Jake

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (jafo @ Mar 17 2004, 10:37 PM) thats why you check all the papers and everything before you buy a car
yep, if you find out it was ever a write-off, be very suspicious.

the problem is that registration authorities employees have been caught doctoring the records in the past. there's nothing you can do here, you'll never know you bought a rebirthed car unless the police turn up one day to reclaim it..

M

mickey

Tell me about it... I had a near miss!!!! see VX section "splein vent"!!!!

Sometimes road authorities get it wrong

S

Slinktus

i have also heard of people stealling cars gutting them then pushing the body into a river.. the car then goes to the wreckers where they can buy it for nilly nothing and have all the paper work

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
wreckers are a significant part of the car theft problem. there's a proposal for a national code of conduct for wreckers to reduce this sort of thing.

R

Robbie

and so there should be.. is there any in place in any state?

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i don't think so, as far as i know.