Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car running rich/jolts/black smoke/faults on dash after engine swap 2011 holden equipe ve series II

Hannah B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Equipe 2011 VE series II
Basically I got my engine swapped due to an engine knock, cost about $5k altogether (got a loan from the bank) and i don't have much money left
I got the engine from JJ auto parts with 1 year warranty and it's a 2012 omega engine
After the swap the car drove fine, turned on fine, EXCEPT engine light was on due to the car not detecting the oxygen sensor, and it would come up with random faults for the car that weren't faulty
then about 2 hours it started jolting and if you press the pedal lightly it would jolt forward
So we took it back in to the mechanic and it wouldn't even turn on after that.
They spent 3 days on it changing parts and nothing changed. They couldn't figure it out. When we turned the car on it would say everything is faulty, such as Stability control fault. airbag fault, this fault, that fault
They told me it was a computer problem that needed to be reprogrammed, so they got a computer auto guy to reprogram it and once again it drove fine and started jolting it again after one hour. So they told me to take it to HOLDEN cause they have a specified system
The car wouldn't even turn on so they attached something to it and when it drove it was awful... there was excessivee black smoke from the exhaust and it was jolting so badly.
So we got it towed to holden and this was the worst part.
HOLDEN said "it shouldn't be a computer problem because 2011-2014 have the same computer. So they said my car was MISFIRING and they said the spark plugs were dead. But i just changed them with my engine swap one week ago.. and then after the spark plugs (mind you one week later it took them ages to even get onto my car) they were changed they said "oh the engine is running rich because you have a fuel injector leakage so it's causing the spark plugs to go black,"
they were going to charge me $2000 to get the fuel injectors done. I said no way and even if a provided my own from my old engine they said $837 for labour, and when i went to take my car back, they wanted to charge me $799 for 6 hours of labour time on changing SPARK PLUGS. my finance's changed them himself under an hour for $4 each.
basically we got away by arguing and saying its basically fraud so we paid $250.
but my battery is dead, they lost my v6 engine cover, and my issue isn't even resolved. can someone help?

its either - computer issue
(as holden said) - fuel injector leakage [but doesn't that mean the car would run lean not rich???]
oxygen sensor - because the engine light was on from that the first time

i honestly think its the computer or the 0xygen sensor because they were the problems from the start. reason, the computer saying lots of faults that weren't necessary and the oxygen sensor not being detected.

I'm trying not to be distressed about this
please anyone who knows

Last edited:

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
changed the battery, they can throw weird codes etc when they start to die and causes issues.

02 sensor can bring up the engine light but never heard of this stopping a car from starting!

mine once in a while(when car parked in sun all day on hot day) does the run on 3cylinders joltly **** drive thing turn off restart all good.

How many kms on new engine? I doubt injectors would be the issue many a security computer issue????

Hope the battery is the answer

Hannah B

Reaction score
Members Ride
My dad charged the battery and i think your right because its not coming up with faults on the dash anymore but I think there's somethingg else wrong cause the car keeps stalling straight after you turn it on

Last edited:

Hannah B

Reaction score
Members Ride
heres a link to a video of whats happening to my car
this is a screenshot from the video but you can't see the black smoke really

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 1.16.14 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 1.16.14 pm.png
    549.7 KB · Views: 154

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
some things a miss there over fuelling or crap spark or manybe a dud sensor putting extra fuel in

Hannah B

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm going to check the MAF Sensor and 02 sensor today