Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Security

H

Hayles

Im after a bit of advice on whats the best security for my Vl, what kinda prices am i lookin at and where's the best places to get it done?

D

d hsv

I would urge you to stay away from Black Widow. Nothing but problems since I got it. One of the door locks jams sometimes and it false alarms at every bloody opportunity.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Personally I have a Code Alarm security system, at the time it cost me approximately $1100 all up. Believe or not it doesn't even come with backup battery so its next to useless if someone cuts the battery lead and wants to knock off some stereo equipment.

Besides that I can never seem to get it to stop false alarms where the sensitivity is always being adjusted depending on the temperature so I each time I set the alarm I am pretty much disabling part of the system which prevents them.

I haven't heard anything bad about Viper car alarms so I guess that might be what to head for unless some other suggestions come up.

As for pricing I am sure you could pickup a nice alarm for $300 - $400 but it all depends on how much you want to spend as I've seen some nice one's out there which do tracking and all the rest.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ok, alarms, with alarms you get what you pay for, like darren said, there are a few car alarms out there at the moment. pricing start's for a standard car alarm at around the $199.00 dollar mark, you can pick up a car liner car alarm for around the $300 mark, they arnt to bad, dont have any presure switches, coded key or anything like that, just a standard alarm, imobiliser with out battery back up, me, personaly i have a very expensive alarm, it's a mongoose alarm, i realy cant complain anything about it, the, it has the following stuff in it

8x pressure switches on windows.
central locking dead lock, (like the new model comodores have, when you press the button and hold it, it will lock the central locking, making it impossible to open the door at all)
a proximity setting

and has several sensative switches around the body.

it's coded, and has 2 battery back up's,

all this is in my vn. (over kill i hear you say, well, im not taking any chances on my baby)

the pressure switches triger alarm if window is broken.
proximity setting will go of if people are to close (though this is a pain in the arse)
and the sensative swithces will triger alarm if someone try's to open or push or jack up the car. there is also the usual door triger's

2 battery back up's is because all someone has to do is pull 2 wires out of this alarm to completly disarm it, (it's like that with all alarms)

it cost me just under $1500.00 for it. i like this alarm, it's up to personal choice though, just remember, a car alarm wont stop yoru car being stolen, it's a visual deterant, a realy noisy one if that. if someone want's your car or contents bad enough, they will just take it

cheers
garth

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
An alarm is good.......if you are near the car. Sorry but don't expect anyone else to give a ****!!! Most people will go and get the "coat hanger" for your cars next owner. All I can say is spend your money wisely. Make sure its upto Australian standards and does what you want it to do. A lot of the Alarm systems are absolute crap.

I would sugest that a really good immobiliser will most likely be as good as a cheap alarm that no one gives a **** about.

There is a program out there that helps people with older model cars get a good quality immobiliser for very lttle cash.

Try a website called www.carsafe.com.au .

I think you can even upgrade these units to a full alarm system. The one I have in my car is good and has never played up. Worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Regards Guy.

H

Hayles

Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated, i'll have a look around and see whats available. Thanks!!