Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car shakes violently when braking

98 vt olympic

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt series II olympic edition
hello im new at this stuff but here goes

i have a 99 vt olympic edition sedan
my brakes keep on warping over time i have replaced rotors i have been to brake mechanics and i cant really get a straight answer people say thats just vt's but then others say its your hubs i have replaced my front sway link bars and the front caster bushes plus the bushes it in the control arm the castor bushes where replaced with nolathane bushes but it has seems it has amplified the shaking i have spent quite a lot of money trying to solve this problem but i dont want to spend any more until i can get a more positive answer
thanks

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I must have gone thru 4 sets of rotors if not 5 on my VT wagon over the years I had owned it .
I never had the rear rotors changed only the front. Not sure if it's the way I drive, as some say I brake late & hard..Or just the weight of the wagon going thru brakes..

98 vt olympic

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey yeah i had a mechanic down the road say try putting RDA rotors and pads on but i want to know if people have had this experiance of this problem i have cross drilled and slotted rotors on the front and there just warping big time the car is getting hard to control with the shaking

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A lot of it has to do with the way the rims are put on and the wheel nuts done up. They have to be done in a star pattern and torqued up in two stages. I can't remember off the top of my head what the torque setting is, but around 90Nm rings a bell.

If they aren't done properly they will develop what is called 'built in run out'.

98 vt olympic

Reaction score
Members Ride
so other words i should try replacing my front hubs and see if that helps

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No. It has nothing to do with the hubs. The rotors warp as you do them up if they aren't done correctly, and over time they just get worse.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
A lot of it has to do with the way the rims are put on and the wheel nuts done up. They have to be done in a star pattern and torqued up in two stages. I can't remember off the top of my head what the torque setting is, but around 90Nm rings a bell.

If they aren't done properly they will develop what is called 'built in run out'.

Agreed.... Also its 110-140nm for the wheel nuts. I do them in two - three stages to keep them well balanced.

Originally we had **** time warping rotors, machinig DOES NOT fix them, so dont waste your money, cheap ones are not worth it. We got less then 100km's out of machining them, and less then 5000km's with cheap rotors (mechanics did this, not me).
In the end I begged for mum to let me fix this, end result 4 X DBA Slotted rotors, with fresh pads, and all wheel nuts torqued correctly and in stages. Now done 45000km's from memory, and only the faintest bit of shudder is arising.

vt_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
i know it sounds stupid, but i had this problem a while ago and after alot of money on the front end and many stressful bad results it was the rear rotors. it felt like the front and i was damn sure it was the front even most of the mechanics said it was the front. but one guy said to replace the back, so i did and have never had the problem again.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
i know it sounds stupid, but i had this problem a while ago and after alot of money on the front end and many stressful bad results it was the rear rotors. it felt like the front and i was damn sure it was the front even most of the mechanics said it was the front. but one guy said to replace the back, so i did and have never had the problem again.

Easiest way to tell is when you brake, does the gearshaft shake, or does the steering wheel shake, or both.

Steering wheel = Front
Gearshifter = Back
Both = Both

98 vt olympic

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey guys yeah look i have DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors on front and i have just normal DBA rotors on the back, when i replaced the factory rotors on the back they warped in 1 week after all that i took all 4 rotors off and got them all machined fitted them done the wheel nuts up in a star pattern but did not do them to the NM torque specs i fitted the calipers with bendix general ct the rotors lasted 3 months now the brakes are back to square A
tom 1569 when i brake both the steering wheel and gearbox lever violently shake rattle it actually sounds like the car is rattling to pieces.