Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Shuts Off Whilst Driving.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
starting to sound like plugs , leads , or coil packs

vs_commy5506

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS BT1 Commodore
just got new plugs, if it was leads this would of been happening every day, coil pack sounds likley in a way as well but it only happens on monthly periods. ****ed if i know lol

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
HI Mine done the same driving at 100klms motor shuts down on freeway. Rolled to a stop and then try to restart, idles but when you put accelerator down no go no power would only go upto 60 klms. Anyway got it home very slowly start up next morning car back to normal. Few days later same thing happens again. I put it in to auto tech and found that the fuel pump in petrol tank had to be replaced. No more problems.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
If it was the coil pack, it would cut out at high and low speeds wouldn't it? Not just low speed / revs??? Wouldn't really make a difference what speed you were going would it?

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Did the auto sparky change your battery for you? Im thinking it might not be the terminals but the battery itself. If the battery hasnt been changed i would suggest that you do that - replace it with a good one and see how that goes.

stated vr v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman
I had the problem with my v6 mate ended up being a heat senstive crank sensor next time it does it have a bottle of water handy and poor it over the crank sensor if it starts straight away id change it.

sydsider66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
You need to run tests.Error code check first.Multimeter on Dfi and coils for resistance.On the battery voltage.You could have multiple problems.A mechanic and Holden replaced my CAS but there wasnt anything wrong with the original one.Thats what drove me to do things myself.Were your lights dim when it just stalled?
If they were id do a voltage check on the battery.I bought a new battery and 6 months later it was stuffed.Showed good voltage but wouldnt crank.The stalling and waiting could be your fuel pump.I speak from experience after i was told on here it could be Dfi/coils but it wasnt. You need to do check on the above or could prove costly with the hit and miss method.I reckon its your fuel pump or blocked fuel filters.Mine did exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
that is the problem with DIY and especially forum fixes. There's always a few possibilities and you have to try to work out which one it is before you spend your cash. However , even if you have to replace 2 or 3 things to find your problem you will probably still come out ahead or cheaper than it would cost at most mechanics these days. Lets face it , half of them rely on guesswork too .... and charge you for it.

2001_VXSS

keepin' it real
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Series II
hey dude does she have an aftermarket alarm system? if so have a look at the wires going to the fuel line..

i had the same problem with my car shutting off while driving at random times then have to wait while for it to start again. mine was the immoboliser i took old one out and she worked perfect no problem.

from memory my immoboliser was wired into the fuel line next to the drivers seat in the loom going to the rear. so fuel line running down side the goes into immoboliser than back to continue down to fuel pump.. take the immoboliser out of the line and connect it up. and give that a go..

if it works then great if not then its something that has been ruled out.

hope this helps
Patrick

vs_commy5506

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS BT1 Commodore
Hey guys, the auto electritian replaced the terminals and checked the earth but found nothing really wrong, he told me to clean the throttle body because that could of been the cause for stalling, so i did that and there was a **** load of black carbon in it so i gave it a thurra clean and it hasnt ****ed up since.
still got a feeling it will happen again tho