Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Shuts Off Whilst Driving.

vs_commy5506

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS BT1 Commodore
Ok hears the story.

When i was driving my VS commodore this afternoon the car at low speed started having a misfire and then the engine just turned off, all the lights on the dash stayed alight but the car switches off, i loose my power steering and the car doesn't wanna start again until at least 10 minutes after the car has stalled. When i do start the car again it idles rough and sounds like the car keeps loosing power and throttle response is poor,and the more load i put on the car for example, going slow around a car park and then put the power steering to full lock it idles rough again and switches off.

This same problem happend 2 months ago whilst driving in a busy intersection and turning a corner at slow speed. I took it to an auto electrician he said it was the negative battery terminal so he replaced it and then it worked fine up until today, so i rang the auto electrician again at around lunch time and he came and cleaned the positive terminal started fine but happend again this afternoon????

It definitely sounds like an alternator problem but the guy i bought it off just replaced it before i bought it off him.

Anyone had this problem its quiet scary lol

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
V6 or V8 BT1?

If a V6, it could possibly be the coil pack. If a 5 litre, your coil may be rooted or something is earthing out somewhere.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Try replacing the coil pack mate. My old VP V6 did exactly what yours did until i replaced the coil pack.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Similar thing happened to me and it was the DFI module. Its the ignition module that sits under the 3 coil packs. Easy to replace. Some shops sell a kit , with 3 standard coils and the module for $300.
Check you have spark on all 6 cylinders.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yes, that's what i also replaced along with the coil pack. If anything, it would be the DFI module more than the coil pack, you can usually buy them together, i think the DFI modules cost a bit from memory. Up around the $200 - $250 mark. I may be thinking of something else though.

My old car used to cut out on main roads, i'd lose everything bar the radio and would have to use the car's momentum to roll it up the gutter etc to get out and pop the bonnet. This is where the gutters are smooth and rounded though, not flat edged like they usually are lol.

But yes it scares the shitta out of you at first.

vs_commy5506

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS BT1 Commodore
haha yep i have to use the cars momentum to get to a safe place when it stalls cause the cars to heavy to push lol but what scares me most is that i dont want it switching off in a dangerous or busy place i could have a serious incident.

But thanks alot guys ill mention the coil pack ect to the auto electrician tomoz!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yeah definantly dangerous too!

If your auto elec stuffs you around and says it's not the DFI module, tell him you will be back, go buy a DFI module and coil pack yourself and fit it, very very easy to do. You only need a wrench and one sized socket i believe.

vs_commy5506

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS BT1 Commodore
So are you positive that you think its DFI modual? because yesterday the car refused to start at all and didnt even crank , but the auto elec cleaned the positive terminal and started fine? so its making me think this is a battery terminal problem.. but yeah this afternoon it didnt seem like a battery terminal problem and sounds exactly like what happend to you on the main roads.