Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car spazzy

H

hsvrolly1

Hi , this is my first post, hope somebody, anybody can help. OK the story goes a little like this.
Went out to start my VX S II (2001) this morning.Car unlocked fine but when put key in ignition the car started BUT so did the horn. It didn't honk on and off BUT it stayed ON constantly in it's high pitched tone...going for 15 minutes . In which time all the neighbours had come out to see what had woken them up.Now while it was making this noise the car would start and turn off with the key but if you got out and tried to lock the doors they wouldn't lock. Eventually the police detective that lives 2 doors up had come over and said we should disconnect the battery, However after 15minutes and before we finally managed to do that, the noise slowly faded out and STOPPED (thank god). seeing as we hadn't disconnected the battery yet we tried to start the car but this time it wouldn't kick over yet all the lights and radi etc would come on. we disconnected the battery then reconnected it after 5 minutes but still no go go. RACV man was called couldn't find a problem, he suggested maybe changing the battery anyway or that it had just had a hissy fit and to get an auto elec to have a look at it.
So i guess my questions are...what the hell?? any ideas on whethor it be battery, computer, faulty wiring or something else? any advice would be great xx
Hi , this is my first post, hope somebody, anybody can help. OK the story goes a little like this.
Went out to start my VX S II (2001) this morning.Car unlocked fine but when put key in ignition the car started BUT so did the horn. It didn't honk on and off BUT it stayed ON constantly in it's high pitched tone...going for 15 minutes . In which time all the neighbours had come out to see what had woken them up.Now while it was making this noise the car would start and turn off with the key but if you got out and tried to lock the doors they wouldn't lock. Eventually the police detective that lives 2 doors up had come over and said we should disconnect the battery, However after 15minutes and before we finally managed to do that, the noise slowly faded out and STOPPED (thank god). seeing as we hadn't disconnected the battery yet we tried to start the car but this time it wouldn't kick over yet all the lights and radi etc would come on. we disconnected the battery then reconnected it after 5 minutes but still no go go. RACV man was called couldn't find a problem, he suggested maybe changing the battery anyway or that it had just had a hissy fit and to get an auto elec to have a look at it.
So i guess my questions are...what the hell?? any ideas on whethor it be battery, computer, faulty wiring or something else? any advice would be great xx

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
try your local auto elec
sounds like a electrical problem somewhere

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is the security light on the dash flashing while you are trying to start the car?

H

hsvrolly1

Hi again, Ok there is no security light flashing on the dash. I took it for a drive this arvo and it is not running probably, rough idling etc. Also the odometer screen reading is fading in and out. She just feels wrong

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If the light was flashing I was going to suggest the BCM, but now I won't. Sorry but I can't think of what the problem might be.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
If your odo lights are fading in and out its probably the battery, but thats more when your lights are on... Sounds like an electrical problem though. As for the rough ideling, no idea... maybe your just noticing it more because your looking for things that dont seem right?? dunno. Good luck with it, hope you find the problem, n hope its nothing majour

andrew05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Belina
Rough idling is most likely due to disconnecting the battery - this clears many of the sensor maps in the ecu back to their default settings. With wear and tear every sensor is slightly different in the values it reads and the ecu is smart enough to 'learn' the specific ones in your car. After a while the ecu will re-map or re-learn these sensors and the idling will become normal again.

The horn coming on could be a security issue - does your car have a small horn inside the bonnet on the lefthand side fender - if so this is a security alarm and is differnt to the normal horn under the front bumper. If the horn is present your car has an inbuilt holden alarm fitted to all higher models.

If the bcm for whatever reason doesn't read the key properly and an attempt is made to start the car, then the bcm may decide to trigger the alarm. Ussually it won't allow the engine to start, which yours did, but the problems with the doors sound like they might be a key reading issue.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Definately sounds like a problem with your BCM. The BCM is under the dash above the accelerator pedal, With battery unplugged I would try unplugging and replugging the connectors to make sure they are seated properly. I agree with Andrew05 about the rough idle, I wouldn't be too concerned for a few drives.