Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car speaker in home audio??

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey everyone, i would like to find out if car speakers can by used in a home audio setup.I know they can be, but i don't know all details as to how it can be done correctly.. I'm putting together a system in a computer room, and i've had a listen to a few set's of bookshelf speakers around the $500-700 mark, and i wasn't really impressed, and i think for the money, i can do better..

I have a Denon amp, which say's it can run 2 set's of speakers between 6-16ohm, or 4 set's of speakers at 12-16ohm.. Now i know i can use 2 set's of 4 ohm speakers, in series, and it should be fine for the amp, but the amp has the option of speaker A(2channel), speaker B(2 channel), or A+B. Does this mean it can be bi-wired for speakers?

I'm thinking making my own boxes, and putting 2x AD6 woofers in each box, along with the tweeters. What do you guy's think?

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I think the "A" and "B" speakers are two sets of speakers wired to the amp. Meaning you can wire two sets and switch between the two, or have both running. I would also imagine it would split the output power in between the two sets.....not sure on what it does with impedance though.

Yeah, car audio speakers have worked fine for people, especially using splits for a set of bookshelf speakers.......although the minimum impedance is a problem, maybe use two sets of splits for each speaker, wired in series ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah that's why i was saying 2 set's, so i'd have 2 woofers, and 2 tweeters, to each box. Would give me 8ohm, and i'm still trying to figure out the amp's power output, but i'm farily certain it does 100+rms per channel...

Could i use the crossover's designed for the spits? and would there be any fq issues?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Cant see why not, the xover frequencies may change a little because its running at 8 ohm (not sure about this). But anyway.....wait for someone more knowledgeable to come on.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I connected one AD woofer to the amp just to see what it would sound like,and because i'm impatient lol,and i have to say, one woofer, no, tweeter, and no enclosure, it put out a fair bit of volume!!!I'd love to know how 2 complete set's properly wired up ,with their tweeters,would sound in good enclosure's!

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Design your own crossovers. I can supply you with gear that could help you run a 3/4 way depending on what you want to do.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well i'm going to find out as much as i can about the amps's sepc's. Joe, let's talk, and make this happen;)

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
You wanna stick with AD all round? Come on MSN if you want to go into more detail.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm thinking i could port them aswell. 400 watt RMS ported bookshelf speakers!!!:rockon:

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
car splits are designed to be run "infinite" baffle...

they aren't really suited to small sealed, or small ported boxes.

and if you can't get the T/S specs for the drivers, its not really worth even trying to design a proper box.