Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car speaker in home audio??

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey Stone X, i'm not really after a whole lot of low end response from them, i have a mirage 12, that i will be using aswell. I've tested the sub in the room i plan on using the book shelf's, and the sub is pretty loud. If i could get some decent middbass, and a nice high top end out of them, then i'd be really happy. As far as enclosure size goes, looking at your average car door, being quite shallow, with usually a less than ideal mounting position, i reckon i could build an enclosure fairly close to that size. I think being propely sealed, and perhaps even rear ported, and having the added advantage of being able to mount them basically wherever i like, i'm fairly confident that i can get some good sound out of them.

The enclusres are going to have to be atleast 16 inches tall, and 8 inches wide,to accomodate the 2 woofers (also depending on where i mount the tweeters) i can go go quite deep as far as the length of the enclosure is concerned, possible up to 25 inches.. So they are going to be on the" larger side" of a bookshelf speaker. I may even mount them individual stands, if their too large to be placed anywhere on a desk..

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
hey VP, have you thought about a kit like this?

Adelaide Speakers - The Firefox Series

Pretty sure most of the kits include peerless/vifa stuff, custom crossovers and dimensions for the enclosures. This guy's setups get awesome reviews from the home audio nutters.

Next year I reckon I'll invest in a nice set of floorstanding speakers from here.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey bezz, i've actually come across their site before. The only problem with setup like those bookshelf's, is outright volume. I don't have the option to add any floor standing speakers, especially if i choose to stand mount the ones i build. I'm after something capable of going pretty loud, and blend in well with the sub i have. I listened to a set of Dali concept 2 books shelf's yesterday, and even with being fed 90 RMS each, they woudn't go anywhere near loud enough, and i lowered the bass on the EQ, and gave them all they had.

I guess being book shelf's, or rear mount, they were never intended to used on their own as the main source of the sound. I guess i should call my design, "small floor standers",(on stands) as i haven't seen many book shelf speakers which use 2x 6.5 drivers each.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
LOUD!!! i tested one AD6 woofer on it's own, off the amp, just with the speaker sitting on the table, and i was pretty impressed with how it played. I'm pretty sure that 4 of them, would provide some pretty serious volume levels..

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Custom crossovers... I might actually have access to the kits and stuff, never really looked into it.

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
They're made to be in a large enclosure, like a door. A bookshelf speaker box is not large enough if you want any low end response from them.

thats what I said.

you'd probably want 6.5inch splits in 20 litres sealed or so per side... meaning two sets would need 40 litres...

thats not a book shelf speaker :p

also, you're not going to want to run two tweeters per side, just one.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Is there any real difference between car and home audio speakers than their impedance ratings?

Your typical bookshelf speakers generally house's a mid driver between 3''to 6.5'', and a tweeter. I can't see why 2 set's of good quality car audio speakers in an enclosure, larger than your typical book shelf speaker, wouldn't sound as good, if not better?

Can some one give me the rough internal volume of an enclosure measuring 18"H x 9"W x 20"L ? If i'm right it adds up to about 50litres? More than i probably need, i cold probably make them a bit wider, and a bit less longer..

Last edited:

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
why are you using metric and imperial?

assuming they are external dimensions, using 18mm MDF, you have about 37.5 litres.

you don't want to run two tweeters in each box, you want one tweeter, and possibly two midwoofers...

whats your budget?