Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car speakers - 2way, 3way, speakers splits. what does it all mean??

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey everyone i am in need a new set of speakers for my VT commodore. I plan at the moment to only get the front done.

Now i am confused in what to get! What does 3way, 2 way, splits and speakers all mean! I can understand the wattage and rms but everything else is a blur to me!
I have a 4 channel amp and i will be amping the front two, and maybe the back 2 depending on weather i get some or not. not sure if it is nesscary

So my question is what sort of information do i look at to get a decent pair of front speakers?
And what is the difference between 3way, 2way, speakers and splits!

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
3 way means there is usually the main large speaker, then a much smaller mid range, and a smaller tweeter. 2 way would be the larger speaker with just 1 tweeter.

now splits mean the main speaker and the tweeter are split so u can put the tweeter up in the corners of the dash or somewhere like that...this would be the best option however u pay extra for this.

just ask 4 help when u go buy em and they can fill u in further...hope i helped a bit.

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 13,789

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So are splits actually worth the extra money?
Or should i just go with a three way??
Also a stock VT commodore speaker mount is 6 inch isn't it??

Also what are Crossovers?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
crossovers divide the signal into high and low frequencies. the highs get sent to the tweeter and the lows to the woofer (main speaker).

it usually is a little box with about 6-8 terminals on it.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So are splits actually worth the extra money?
Or should i just go with a three way??
Also a stock VT commodore speaker mount is 6 inch isn't it??

Also what are Crossovers?
mate i should just define this better for you.
a 2-way / 3-way / 4-way ect only describes the number of speakers connected via the same output from the amplifier. 2way = 2 speakers ect... as described before.

next there is a split design or coaxial design. this is how the speakers are arranged. split obviously means that the drivers are seperate and can be mounted individually. a coaxial (common axial) is there the speakers are mounted litterally ontop on each other as in the above photo.

generally a split design speakes system is superior because you can aim the tweeter right at you.
coaxial are usually at the lower end of the quality spectrum.
how many hi-fi systems do you see with coaxial speakers?

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Yeah I would definitely go the splits over coaxial anyday. They are a little more expensive, a little harder/time consuming to install (obviously as there is 2 (or three) speakers to install per side instead of just one speaker either side with everything built in. At the end of the day you will have a much better sounding setup using splits. Coaxial's are great for rear fill as it doesn't matter so much what it sounds like in the back as you will be up front driving so you want the best possible sound up front for you to hear!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
while we're at it ...

what do the 2x tweeters do that are mounted in the dash of every Commodore? I noticed when I had the amp running the 4 door speakers and it overheated the tweeters in the dash (still connected to the standard plug) had a very low volume. Obviously they add to the effect but how??

Im looking at doing the Front doors and adding 6x9's on the parcel shelf of the VZ so I'm sussing it all out myself too. Would love to spend the money and get it done properly but if I dont do it myself to help cut costs I know it will never get done :bang:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
they are just the same as any other tweeter, high frequencies.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
while we are on speakers,
I have my sub connected to a bridged two channel amp. Now it has 3 modes for the filters, off, low pass, and high pass.

I have had it to off because my headunit has a subpreout and i figured it would just filter it automatically?
The headunit is a Pioneer 7950UB.

Do sub preouts automatically do this or should i still adjust the gains via the amp on the low pass?