Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car spitting out black stuff

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
if you park yor car out side then it also could be condensation/rain running in over nite. As kids we had to wash teachers cars for punishment and used to run the hose up the exhaust...makes an excellent water canon!! muffler wouldn't like it much though in hind sight...

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
ok went for drive before noticed temp guage was on cold the bottom line and drove for about 10kms and it went up to probaly just under half way too the half way mark so if its correct then i think its running cold which would indicate computer it running the fuel mix rich

what sensor causes this, air temp sensor? or could it be thermostat? they also have a coolant sensor if im correct?

There are two coolants sensors - one for the gauge, and one for the computer. The one for the computer is a simple on/off setup whereas the gauge one feeds back variable response - I'm not convinced that yours is running cold - 10k ain't enough to diagnose that, and it does sound like your thermostat is opening up, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Check your air filter, clean up the throttle body and iac valve - spark plugs if they are due (even whip them out and clean them up) - possibly even fuel filter if it's time. Start with the basics, see if things improve b4 you get on to the technical stuff. Once you've done the basics, it may be worth taking it to a holden dealer and ask them to diagnose poor fuel economy (and describe the black soot) Chances are they'll tell you it need an injector clean and de-coking. 9/10 that these are cop outs and attempts to get a hold of your hard earned imho. They can test your maf sensor though, which is far too expensive to be replacing 'just in case',

If one of your spark plugs is more fouled than the rest - maybe the injectors need cleaning - but who knows? I struggle along myself with not enough knowledge on these things, but too much self respect to be ripped off by the small number of mechanics out there that take you for a ride if you let them.

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
thanks alot fletch, yeah still sticking with the basics like cleaning things up, going to check out spark plugs, air filter is fine may give it a change of oil and things which it maybe due for (have not had car a long time)

Im currently running injector cleaner in it now and going to run another lot next fill up to help out abit, my last option will be to take it to holden and see if they can pin point my problem

I was convinced it was running cold, cause the gauge barely moved from the bottom it was abit of spirited driving, i used to have a VN and within the same stretch of road it was running alot warmer and so does my vx SS, but it maybe a little fault the temp gauge that is

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
have you been parking the car in a different place than you used to?

or driving it harder, with more revs?
if you granny it for a long time the exhaust gasses have been travelling slowly through the exhaust system and that allows carbon to settle and collect in the mufflers and pipes, and then if you park the car outside, it gets condensation inside the system and out comes that wet sut when you give her a few revs.

but yeah if thats the case it shouldn't do it all the time, it could be running very rich, i dont know how many oxy sensors the VN's have 1 or 2, maybe swap them with a mates car and see if the performance of the3 car changes, if it gets bettwe yours are stuffed, if it gets worse, your mates are stuffed, if its the same look further, like MAP sensor possibly.
Good luck

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
car is parked in doors normally try to give it a run atleast once a day, once she warms up it dont spit it out anymore so its possible its a build up but i got a feeling its still running rich because of the fuel consumption issue, almost finished cleaning up some sensors and throttle body so hopefully will sort this issue out