Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car spitting out black stuff

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Hey, my car (vs series 1 v6) seems to be spitting out some black soot type stuff out the exhaust, is this a sign its running rich? as it does have a fuel consumption issue heres a pic, it really shoots out when you give it some revs

mini-exhuast_problem%20016.jpg

Any ideas whats causing it?

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
its got a dump pipe on the end so it might be putting out more then usual, its not all from the one starting the patch closes is probaly two or three starts and revs worth

and error codes are just bringing up 12 so nothing wrong there

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I normally get a couple of drops of water out of the exhaust on startup. I assume its just the cats turning CO2 into H2O, and a bit of standard black exhaust to make a slightly black water. Never that much though.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
If its putting out excessive amounts of water/steam you might have a blown head gasket. I dont think you would get the soot falling in that pattern unless there was quite a bit of water involved.

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
dont think its a blown head gasket however ill check it out, any other possible causes?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
It's basically unburnt fuel - what's your consumption like ? Plenty of potential causes for it to run rich. For starters there is replace air filter, iac valve could use a clean and possibly clean throttle body, check o2 and flow sensors - these can be performing poorly yet fail to throw out a code, I can't think of anything else that you don't need a mechanic for ?

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
yeah fuel consumption is pretty bad about 320km a tank

by flow sensors you mean the maf sensor near the airbox?

might take throttle body off and clean iac valve later and give the o2 sensors a check hopefully can find my problem, i can do most things mechanically its just learning exactly what these sensors do or better yet what happens when they aint working :)

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Yeh - the maf sensor near the airbox, and the o2 sensors on the exhaust. The only wy to check them is to swap them out with known good ones though - so that ain't much help.

Also the temp sensor can cause the 'choke' to stay on - that is, the 'puter enriches the fuel mix when the car is cold - when the car ain't cold but the 'puter thinks it is, you get too much fuel.

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
ok went for drive before noticed temp guage was on cold the bottom line and drove for about 10kms and it went up to probaly just under half way too the half way mark so if its correct then i think its running cold which would indicate computer it running the fuel mix rich

what sensor causes this, air temp sensor? or could it be thermostat? they also have a coolant sensor if im correct?