Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car stalling after starting - all help appreciated!

John Linkan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi guys
i am having troubles with my v6 ve commodore.
i recently took it into a mechanic for him to have a look at it, as it is having a lot of troubles after replacing the engine in it.
after replacing the engine, it would crank but not start, so i replaced the fuel pump and module, and now it is starting but stalling a few seconds after starting.
the mechanic has done fuel checks, air checks, scans, and all inspections he can without taking the engine apart and he is totally stumped as to what it could be. no fault codes. fuel is pumping fine. air is fine. coils and spark is fine.
is there anything he may have missed? or any advice that could possibly help?

Thanks in advance all :D
hoping to get it fixed asap.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Possible air leak, is it stalling straight away or running for a bit then stalling, does it stall when you put it in gear? It could even been your torque converter stalling the engine

John Linkan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Possible air leak, is it stalling straight away or running for a bit then stalling, does it stall when you put it in gear? It could even been your torque converter stalling the engine
from what i’ve seen it usually stalls a few seconds after starting. will double check the things you mentioned!!

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Unplug the cam sensors and see if it runs

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
There are different ve v6 engines they have different cam sensors and cam phases, if you disconnect them and it runs you have the wrong cam sensors and cam phases or you have the cam sensors plugged in wrong and that's why it's stalling

John Linkan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
There are different ve v6 engines they have different cam sensors and cam phases, if you disconnect them and it runs you have the wrong cam sensors and cam phases or you have the cam sensors plugged in wrong and that's why it's stalling
thanks mate. will let him know to give it a go

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pretty sure both the LY7 and LE0 use the same part number for all cam solenoids and same part number for cam sensors.

They can be swapped about when fault finding.