Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Stalling

M

MJD

I have a 96 VS Acclaim 2 which has started to stall in traffic, generally at the lights.
Sometimes it won't start when cold. Either way it usually restarts between 5 and 30 minutes later. Have taken it to the mechanic and auto elec who couldn't find the problem. RACV no help. Any help would be appreciated as the missus is freaking out and wants to sell. Cheers

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I would take it back to a holden dealer and get them to look at it, that way you'll get a definate anserw to the problem of your car.

Just what ever you do, don't sell, l have a VS II and l love it.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
even though a auto spark is good, and a mechanic is good, personaly, i dont run them, when you take it to a mechanic or autospark, a majority of them will only do a quick test, drive it around the block, and say it's all fine, take it to a shop with a diagnostic machine they can put on it, they will run the car, and actually find what's wrong with it, it's a good machine, helped me heaps with the vn. but think about this, my mate was having the same problem, all the mechanic's said it was fine, it turned out to be water in his fuel, it slowly over time built up in tank, and car just couldnt get fuel anymore, mabey that could be your problem, either thator it's one of the following

1. fuel filter clogged or water in tank
2. damaged wires
3. emission system components buggered
4. wrong spark plug gap
5. fuel in jection or engine control system playing up
6. vacuum leak at inlet manifiold or vacuum hose

email me, [email protected] if you want a little ditty on how to check those parts (all bar no 1)

hope thisl will help

cheers
garth

M

MJD

THanks 2 Seek U and Garth. I've ended up replacing the crank angle sensor about three weeks a go and it's been fine since, fingers crossed. Happy not to sell because its a bloody good car otherwise.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, as soon as I read it was an intermittent fault and the fact that it restarts after a time I thought CAS. Usually you would have had trouble with warm starts rather than cold. If the CAS is buggered and it stalls when hot you can splash it with some cold water and it'll sometimes fire up again if its not totally gone.

Anyway its great you got it going and lets hope you keep the VS

T

tonysoprano

I had same problem on my VS II, happened the day after i bought it, my girlfriend was wanting to sell it too but it was fixed under warranty and hasnt had a problem since. She now loves the car more than I do.