Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Car struggling to start

carnub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Hey guys.

I own a LPG VS acclaim, and it struggles to turn over when I first start it, every time after the first time it pretty much starts straight away. I replaced the starter motor (with one from the wreckers) and it turned out fine for about a month but then started to play up again. Also sometimes I'll turn the key, and it will start a few seconds after. I bought a user manual to start servicing it myself, but after reading through a few pages I can't make heads or tails of it haha. I'm not exactly mechanically minded. It's very puzzling in that after starting it once, it's fine. If I start it after a few hours I get the same problem. Any idea what the problem could be?

Cheers!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What sort of condition is the battery in?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
When say 'Also sometimes I'll turn the key, and it will start a few seconds after' does it wait a few seconds before it starts to crank or it takes a few seconds to start?

carnub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
What sort of condition is the battery in?

Uh the battery is about 2 and a bit years old? I'll have a look through the user manual to see how I can tell what condition it's in.

When say 'Also sometimes I'll turn the key, and it will start a few seconds after' does it wait a few seconds before it starts to crank or it takes a few seconds to start?

It takes a few seconds to start, when I turn the key, (sometimes) it will fire a reaction a heat beat later. It's not instant like it should be.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
So it's struggling to crank first time?

But once it's started, it'll start first go every time after?

Definitely sounds like a battery not holding power/voltage. Either replace it as a start or chuck a voltmeter on it to see what it's putting out before you try and cold start it (in a situation where it would usually struggle to start)

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Get a new battery with plenty of cold cranking amps the more cold cranking amps the better the start

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Also with gas it takes a bit to start especially on cold mornings because in colder temps has freezes

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Also with gas it takes a bit to start especially on cold mornings because in colder temps has freezes

Depends on the gas system, if it's a recent system it will start on petrol, go dual mix then flick over to gas in basically a second.