Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car swap advice.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
i am hoping with all the knowledge on this forum I might be able to get some good advice.
I am selling my pretty much stock standard 2011 SV6 170xxx km’s, I have had the message below offering to do a straight swap, what are you guys thoughts and would it be worth doing the swap then selling the ute?

HOLDEN VY 2004 V8 5.7 LS1 UTE
AUTO
184xxxks
WOF TILL MIDDLE OF 2019
REG TILL MARCH 2019

Selling due to circumstances have changed.
Starts first pop every time, always serviced on time and maintained well. Low ks for a v8. Sounds grumpy, pretty loud, but sound how a v8 should.

EXTERIOR
sv6 18' mags ( with good tread on tyres ) SS body kit Tuff deck in ute tray Tinted side and back windows Tinted front and rear lights ( a little faded ) Aftermarket front scoop on bonnet for better air flow Super low king springs allround Tow bar Black paint job with gold pearl in the sun

ENGINE 5.7 LS1
Brushed stainless steel extractors Xforce
Aftermarket straight pipe 3" exhaust from extractors New x2 viper muffler tips at exhaust rear ( set up above cost around 3200 )
Had recent radiator flush with new coolant Struct brace in engine bay All plugs, leads, oil change got done couple weeks ago trans and diff are in great condition never had an issue

INTERIOR
leather interior ( seats + door cards ) SS dash New floor lining Has aftermarket gauges as viewed in photo JVC headunit + JVC 6" in doors + tweeters on doors 5star alarm system + immobiliser

Asking for decent cash offers or swap for a nice later model ve sv6

Any help would be much appreciated

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
HOLDEN VY 2004

So a car that's 7yrs older than yours..? If yours was a 2006 VE then that would be far more equitable.

Not significantly more kms than yours, but more nonetheless..

Selling due to circumstances have changed.

That old chestnut...ie - the ute is starting to give him some dramas

Sounds grumpy, pretty loud

modified = probably driven hard

trans and diff are in great condition never had an issue

Yet..

Tuff deck in ute tray

Carried a sshit load of cargo in it's time..

Tinted front and rear lights

Never seen a car with tinted headlights/tail lights that wasn't owned by a d_ckhead. Same with those who want to 'swap' cars, it just doesn't sit right with me. I always get the gut feeling that people who seek to do this generally don't maintain their cars well or look after them in the main.

Redbook suggests a private price guide of 8k - 9.7k for yours and 6.4k - 8.4k for his. Granted, that's not a huge difference but it's something to consider - you are potentially handing him a couple of thousand dollars and giving him a more valuable car in exchange for an older, less valuable one. Would you really be happy with that decision long term? If it's the lure of the V8, then sure I get it, but the LS1 was nothing special (i've had one) , yes his mods would have improved it a bit, but it's not going to blow you away.

And again, in a few months time, once the V8 novelty wears off, will you sit back and still be happy that you got rid of a car 7yrs newer than the one you now have in your driveway?

You need to ask yourself if it's REALLY worth it, if your car isn't in great shape and his seems OK, and he is willing to do the deal then maybe. If you are craving an 8, then would you open up more choices by selling your car and going shopping?

Reading his description, it reeks of a car that has been driven hard. So if you are genuinely considering this, then go over it with a fine tooth comb before committing to anything. Take someone else with you as well and make sure you do your due diligence with PPSR etc. Let us know how you get on and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Honestly I am only looking at it from the value side of things, I am selling my car cause we are going to building a house soon so need a bit extra cash, and an only considering a swap thinking I might be able to sell his Ute for more than my car but if that’s not the case then I will just hold onto my car and sell it.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
and an only considering a swap thinking I might be able to sell his Ute for more than my car

Yep, clearly I didn't read the first part of your post! My opinion - a good 2011 VE SV6 will be worth more than a good 2004 SS. Hope it works out

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Thanks for the advice, I am more leaning towards keeping my car

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks for the advice, I am more leaning towards keeping my car
ld agree that if your car as a1 and no headacks keep it or advertise for what you want and ch ching$$$. But in saying that it will continue to devalue as you wait. If the ute is micky mouse l honestly feel that it is more valuable in comparison in the long run.. v8 Ss utes are attractive. A sv6 not so to all, if it was a calais then different story. If you could put the cash to better things/house, you still have to find a dunga to haul your ass around. Possibly you might end up financially worse off if you think very hard. All the best!!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
IMHO Swaps are just seem bad in general. Generally speaking I've found the kind of people that engage in them usually do so because they generally don't have cash (which could lead to you to believe there are other things they cheaped out on), are too lazy to sell (again, could mean they are too lazy to maintain), are trying to offload problem cars, are trying to trick people to give them more valuable cars, blah blah blah...

Swapping daily drivers is just asking for trouble and money to be spent.

Just too many variables (including outside factors like the car market and where you live) in swaps to ensure the trade is equitable and fair.

Honestly I am only looking at it from the value side of things, I am selling my car cause we are going to building a house soon so need a bit extra cash

Comparatively for the cost of a house, whatever small gain you might get from a swap isn't really worth the hassle/risk in the big picture. Sell your car for tangible money with value, and spend the time you would have spent jumping through the hoops of swapping focusing on the house. Bringing third parties into cash flow like this seems to me to be just asking to lose cash. Might not be much loss, but anything more than $1 in a swap situation is too much really.

TL;DR - Nar mate, not fair swap

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
TML678, you didn't mention this outstanding fitment .....'Aftermarket front scoop on bonnet for better air flow'
How good is that ? That should have been enough to convince Cam-ralph that it is a well loved and maintained vehicle, and should be worth a shedload of profit when he sells it. ;)

PS.... what is a litre of fuel cost now ? I saw it well over NZ $2 at Christmas.