Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car too loud?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Back to stock standard please. You then don't annoy the law and people.
A policeman once said and I quote......The ONLY person that thinks their loud car sounds good is YOU. Think about it.

well it's my car so he can stick his opinion straight back up his clacker - go catch some criminals. Honestly policing in this country, got bigger fish to fry too lazy to so it so grab the low hanging fruit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The law is the law, you should no be able to getaway with anything more than how it came off the showroom floor with.
ADR is the law.

Do you ever modify your car's in any way at all?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Back to stock standard please. You then don't annoy the law and people.
A policeman once said and I quote......The ONLY person that thinks their loud 4 cylinder or V6 sounds good is YOU. Think about it.
I just made a necessary amendment.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Do you ever modify your car's in any way at all?
It's the law and as far as I know the new cars have to pass the ADR test or they can not pass to be sold and by rights I don't know how they can pass a roadworthy.

Look at all the BS that went on with VW not passing pollution laws, people freaked out like morons thinking it was the end of the world, when in fact it was as clean as, but it just did not cut it with the strictness of the madness of the new laws.
So with the way the laws are going I would be very carful, because if a department of transport pulls you up you could have a problem on ya hands.

Even race tracks be it MX bike or race cars they all have to abide by noise laws for some years now, you get kicked off the track and they will get up anyone to f off and don't come back until you comply, because the track will get closed down if it does not comply within the limits.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It's the law and as far as I know the new cars have to pass the ADR test or they can not pass to be sold and by rights I don't know how they can pass a roadworthy.

Look at all the BS that went on with VW not passing pollution laws, people freaked out like morons thinking it was the end of the world, when in fact it was as clean as, but it just did not cut it with the strictness of the madness of the new laws.
So with the way the laws are going I would be very carful, because if a department of transport pulls you up you could have a problem on ya hands.

Even race tracks be it MX bike or race cars they all have to abide by noise laws for some years now, you get kicked off the track and they will get up anyone to f off and don't come back until you comply, because the track will get closed down if it does not comply within the limits.

When I raced we had to have the cars checked for noise. One of my cars was exactly spot on and I was warned about it.

For the people that really want to modify cars simple go buy a pre. 76A car and go for it. Do not even THINK about modifying your modern vehicle as you will be picked up and made to comply soon that later. That goes mainly for noise, lowering it and pollution control.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

That's a really awesome reply but it doesn't answer the original question.

And I'd suggest the VW emissions cheating scandal wasn't really madness at all. The US has fairly tough emissions standard, either you pass or fail but to actively fit electronics to cheat the system is a big deal. Yes those diesels are probably a lot better than what we had 10 years ago but that doesn't change the fact they didn't meet the new standards.

I'm sure we must have some of those cars here in NZ but as our emissions laws are still in the last century the government doesn't really give a rats ass.

So, back to the original question, do you modify your car in any way?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I used to, but that was with 2nd hand cars. Once in the late '70s I put a Jaguar XK6 + Supersnipe gearbox combo in my 1947 International 2 1/2 ton flatbed truck after I cracked the flathead by using #1 racing fuel, and you couldn't own an RX7 in the '80s or '90s without shoving extractors and a hot dog muffler under it! 3rd party insurance only. Invested more time and effort than money in my rides back then.

Nowadays insurers shove the premiums up if they get a sniff of an after-market modification, and they will shaft you if they find an undeclared one upon inspection after an accident or theft-and-recovery. Heck, adding a $1500 towbar here in NZ adds about $150 to premium. Strangely enough, the insurers don't seem to even blink if you are buying a comprehensive policy for a brand new vehicle with "factory accessories" included in the drive away price.

Added to that there are more rules now, and more cops to enforce them, with more technology to detect breaches. We're screwed, "Must Conform"!

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
That's a really awesome reply but it doesn't answer the original question.

And I'd suggest the VW emissions cheating scandal wasn't really madness at all. The US has fairly tough emissions standard, either you pass or fail but to actively fit electronics to cheat the system is a big deal. Yes those diesels are probably a lot better than what we had 10 years ago but that doesn't change the fact they didn't meet the new standards.

I'm sure we must have some of those cars here in NZ but as our emissions laws are still in the last century the government doesn't really give a rats ass.

So, back to the original question, do you modify your car in any way?
Like gossie said with new cars, but do I, well yes I have but not from 1999 new cars that I owned with the exhaust or engine, I had to remove the speed limiter in the VY SS as to the computer but that was it.
I chipped my 1995 VS V6 and did the exhaust and air box but was it worth it, no it was not worth the dollars truly. sure I lowered it and tried a lot of springs heights testing and better shocks working with camber settings and rear proportioning valve to get it just right and better brake pads.
My 1993 XG ute all it needed was better brake pads, the original were crap, at 210KM/H and hit the brakes you got bad fade from 70KM/H.
My 1999 VS V8 I just lowered it with better shocks and camber settings.

The VW met and exceeded the emission standards of the laws just gone past before it and it was as clean as, the points of contention were just BS in reality and if people are going to piss and moan about that crap you better be careful with a car that 1 year old or more because she may not comply you know as she did from new. the new laws are over the top to try to comply with and there is good reason why VW did what it did because they know better than the law in reality and the law should listen to the most advanced car maker in the world, who understands what's truly going on in reality, the law is not as advanced as VW is on the reality's, the law may be out of it's depths in reality.

The point I am making was with the law on pollution and noise comes under that as well and if you open up the exhaust, bingo she may not pass the law due to noise or emissions, because if you make the exhaust flow better the tune is now all out of wack, from what I have seen all such cars loose power when you do that, until it's tuned to it and only then you pick up more power.

I don't think that NZ needs EGR or cat converters, their is no health related point to the city's at all. the whole point is the health concerns of the people and that's where it starts and finishes, their is no less exhaust gasses coming out the exhaust pipe you know, more burnt and less not burnt in truth.

So to be simple, take a HX Holden with ADR27A vs the HJ, now the 173 got kicked out because it did not comply and the 202 could only be had in the HX ADR27A but in the LX Torana the 173 past the ADR27A, a lighter car bro could pass the so called test procedure but the bigger one did not, now as to the peramerters of the law that they use it's only with in the test procedure, they do not test flat out driving or beyond a point, it's just mainly about normal driving about stuff, like we have a loop mode with EFI and once you put your foot down to much she drops out of that loop mode that's another game again.
So who is to say that the law knows best in all fields, how would they truly know better than VW. is it polluting more truly ? or is it all just about keeping stupid moron so called greenies happy, we see the greenies do more harm than good pissing on about what they know f all about.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
NZ does require CATS and EGR on vehicles that came fitted with it post a certain date.

NZ relies on vehicles meeting emissions standards set by other governing authorities IE European and American standards but does not in anyway enforce any of those standards.

What VW did was wrong period. They knew vehicles had to meet certain standards and the vehicles could clearly meet those new standard but VW choose to cheat the tests to achieve better power and mileage etc.

BTW, I do not agree with the noise laws as there is no consistence.

I'm also in the belief that VW were not the only manufacturer to cheat, they were just the ones who got caught.

Last edited: