Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Trailer hire

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BookMe, Sep 26, 2013.

1. BookMe

BookMe New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    Thought I'd chuck a new thread up instead of clouding the other one.

So far.

Question about car trailers.

Move yourself car trailers are rated to 1200kgs. What is the point of having one rated to 1200kg. Thats good for a full on race car or a shell.

A lot of people have just told me to use it even though my car is around 1600-1700kgs. I've seen people using them with car that would be roughly the same as well.

Anyways question is.
    What are the risks/would fail first?
    Where else to hire a car trailer that is actually suitable.

2. BookMe

BookMe New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    Would using a 4wd be better to tow with? ie. I can use a Mitsubishi Pajaro with a 2500kg towing capacity to compensate?

Alternatively does anyone know of a car trailer hire company in Wollongong, NSW that has trailers rated to over 1500kg?

3. Kiddo

Kiddo You're serious bro?!

Members Ride:
    Mitsubishi Colt
    If you're planning on doing that, you'll have a world of trouble. You'd be towing 30% more then what its rated for.

1, its illegal
    2, like above, brakes would be an issue
    3, axles may not be rated that high
    4, suspension will bottom out
    5, will put excess stress on the towball/neck. This is because the trailer with be at a bad angle
    6, may get the wobbles at higher speeds

Also, remember that towing capacities includes the mass of the trailer + the load.

4. MuckUte

MuckUte Member

Members Ride:
    304 powered WB ute, S2 VS Caprice
    The 1200kg rating would be to cover themselves in the case of an accident. The trailer will carry more but if you have an accident or the cops stop you then the trouble will start

5. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    It would technically be fine however as stated, cops won't be so forgiving.
    Towing a trailer with a mass that is close to or more than the towing car means that trailer is going to own you if you have to stop suddenly or you get speed wobbles.
    Also depends on the tow bar rating on the tow vehicle. I wouldn't tow a car on a trailer with anything less than 2100kg rated bar or you are asking for trouble.

I have personally witnessed a car on a trailer roll over at the top of a steep hill and rip the tow bar clean off the tow car. I don't think they could even have been doing close to 60km/h.

6. Daniel youd

Daniel youd New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Calais Turbo
    Good information which you share with us.

7. zero_tolerance

zero_tolerance Donating Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VFII Redline
    Nice thread mine.

Whilst on this topic though, I had to rub my eyes with disbelief recently when I saw a Corolla towing a Hilux on a trailer.
    I don't even want to imagine how highly dangerous and illegal this would have been.

towing.jpg

strgas likes this.
  8. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
    trailer regs have changed and any trailer caravan over 2.0 tons fitted with electric brakes must be fitted with a brake away system so to comply most hire companys down rated their trailers to get away with not having to fit break away system .

It is a legal requirement in all states that caravans over two tonnes gross trailer mass (GTM) are fitted with a caravan breakaway system, or independent brakes that will immediately kick in if the van becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle.

Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1, which covers the technical requirements stipulated by the Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, says that:

• Every trailer over two tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on allwheels.
    • The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle.
    • Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.
    Some states (ACT, VIC) add that the brakes must “be able to hold the trailer on a 12 per cent grade while in operation after a breakaway”.

9. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    here is example of how much you can carry by weight take a 2000 kgs gvm trailer than deduct the tare weight ( unladen or empty )it should be mark on the compliance plate say 500 kgs that gives you 1500 kgs payload

10. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
    Have towbar can tow anything , some drivers just dont get or understand the limits of there vehicle when it comes to towing .

zero_tolerance likes this.
  11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    Your average dual axle car trailer will weigh 700-800 kg's EMPTY. Hence why they usually say the 1200kg limit. This is to fit under the 2 tonne threshold as mentioned above. Will the trailer cope with more? In most cases, yes. However if **** happens you will be up a creek without a paddle.

Also towing 2 tonne with crappy override cable momentum bases brakes like most 2 tonne car trailers have are awful and you really dont want to be going down any large hills.