Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car trailer to fit 2 cars

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Guess you also have to consider the trailer weight in the towing mass aswell which makes the 2 cars on the 1 trailer behind almost anything that isnt a truck or 5th wheeler quite difficult.

The idea of the double decker would also likely be very costly to engineer and build and the weight of the components like the hydraulics etc would also eat into Max capacities.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
A Prado won't legally do jack for what you want to tow. Majority of the highest towing passenger cars can only tow 3.5t. That'a a Dmax, 200 series, 70 series, Ranger maximum braked, BT-50 etc... The only cars that go higher than this are things like the Ram which costs like $140k or Silverado like before.

1500kg for the VT and 1700kg for the WH (won't matter if they're stripped out burnout cars, they will go by listed tare) leaves you with a grand total of 300kg for your trailer with any normal 3.5t capacity passenger car.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
here in nsw if your tow vehicle has dual rear wheels and towing a dual axle trailer you must have a hc licence which i have, when you add all the weight of 2 cars and trailer that be around 5 ton
weight adds up very quickly when you add everything you have to carry and don t be surprise if you also need a tow truck licence

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You're going to need a yank tank 5th wheel .
Two commodores will be close to 3t even in race trim then the trailer will be 1.5t so your going to be at 4.5t+ add on a wheel rack ect.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Better off with a truck, you'll be able to do it a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than a 'car' type vehicle. Nothing new under 100k in a car type vehicle will do that. Even a 2000's spec F250 still only has a 4.5t tow rating which still won't be anywhere close enough and still $50kish used. If you're dead keen on this type of setup I'd look at a new or newish F450 truck. They've got a 15t to rating for memory (7ton GVM) so you could run a decent gooseneck trailer even an enclosed one if that tickles your fancy. But They're also around $200k + whatever for the trailer, you'd also need to upgrade your licence to MC or similar as LR won't let you tow a trailer.

Good luck.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Better off with a truck, you'll be able to do it a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than a 'car' type vehicle. Nothing new under 100k in a car type vehicle will do that. Even a 2000's spec F250 still only has a 4.5t tow rating which still won't be anywhere close enough and still $50kish used. If you're dead keen on this type of setup I'd look at a new or newish F450 truck. They've got a 15t to rating for memory (7ton GVM) so you could run a decent gooseneck trailer even an enclosed one if that tickles your fancy. But They're also around $200k + whatever for the trailer, you'd also need to upgrade your licence to MC or similar as LR won't let you tow a trailer.

Good luck.

What's more exy the F350 or the F450? Because as I understand it the 350 is the biggest normal everyday style truck then 450 up is propper commercial chassis.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So at the end of the day it's way cheaper to just buy tow AU falcon utes and two traliers for under 20k and pay a mate in beer and accommodation to drive the other.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Here's what you're looking for. Will carry both of your beasts plus a small runabout. Brand new, built to order, only $44,000 + govt. fees (and a truck)View attachment 212611.
If you're gonna do it, do it right.

[/URL]

That setup would do 3 cars too, or 2 cars and a stack of gear. What you'd want to do it properly really.

What's more exy the F350 or the F450? Because as I understand it the 350 is the biggest normal everyday style truck then 450 up is propper commercial chassis.
NFI, I was just looking at F450's the other week as an add for one popped up on my facebook feed. I Can't afford any of them so I never looked further. I'd assume a 350 would be cheaper though.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That setup would do 3 cars too, or 2 cars and a stack of gear. What you'd want to do it properly really.

NFI, I was just looking at F450's the other week as an add for one popped up on my facebook feed. I Can't afford any of them so I never looked further. I'd assume a 350 would be cheaper though.

I'm not 100% it would be though. When I was looking at caravans I was watching youtube vids of US motor homes and the 450 seemed like it sells just as a cab chassis with basic interior but you can get the 350 in full delux leather dual cab. People use the 350 for big tray mounted camper vans that have jacking legs so the leave the home at the camping site and drive off in the truck. These things are bigger inside than 2.5t dual axle aussie caravans lol.