Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car trailer to fit 2 cars

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Hey guys. I am looking at getting a car trailer to tow 2 cars at the same time. One is a WH stato and a VT Commodore. I was wondering if anyone has gone and done this and has some pointers. I want to be able to tow both at the same time without taking 2 cars. Both cars are burnout cars, so they can't be registered and driven.

From what I found WK is about 17ft and the VT is about 16ft long. So should I be looking for about a 42ft trailer? I see the 23ft trailers advertised a lot as being able to tow 2 small cars but being Holden I know they are longer than your average small car

Any tips will be grateful. I and hoping I am asking in the right area. Need to make sure I can fit both Holdens on there. Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't want to rain on your parade but what tow vehicle do you have? To do it legally it would probably be a flat bed and a trailer behind that. There would be none or very few V8 ute trucks that can do this legally.

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
We are actually going in to Toyota this Saturday to look at some thing brand new for this purpose. So trying to get as much info as possible then make a decision as to what to buy.

If this is something that can't be done then option 2 would be to grab a car carrier truck and get a single car trailer behind that. But we wanted something like a Prado for 4x4 driving too.

Just trying to see options and hoping someone has done something like this before

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In SA you will be lucky to legally tow two cars simultaneously with any Toyota 4WD. I'd think even with an electric breakaway system on the trailer you still might come in as too heavy, with two Holden's on the trailer. Best you check with Service SA at what they allow before some yard sells you the $120K V8 Cruiser and you still end up not legally allowed to tow what you want.

Yard might say, "Yeah Mate 4.5T towing capacity". In SA last I knew that meant squat it all comes down to allowed tow weight and that's not exceeding twice the weight of the tow vehicle and this only applies when a trailer has a breakaway system. No breakaway and the tow weight goes down drastically.

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Yeah. From what I found online is that the car and trailer cannot exceed 19M. So that's 62ft total. A Prado is 16ft so leaving enough room for a large trailer. But I don't want to go any bigger than what I need. That's why I'm hoping someone has done this before.

Only going for a quote and an inside look into towing capacity between the different Toyota's then all I have to do is look for a trailer that will work and then double check everything legal wise before spending any money.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What sort of license do you have? Car only or some sort of truck license aswell?

You're going to run into weight issues on the combination under a normal license i'd suspect (GCM) (havent looked into state specifics) as i imagine Tow Vehicle + Trailer + 2 full size cars is going to run into the area of 6-7t at a minimal guess.

A Silverado type with a 5th wheel attachment and trailer would probably be your best bet of vehicle to look at aswell.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Was going to say the 5th wheel set up may be the option.
Trailer may have to be special in that it would almost be like a low loader to have 1 car down low and the other up over the hitch, Then height may be of concern.

Or possibly find an older (like 60s) truck that can have a car loaded on the back and tow a trailer behind that.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Was going to say the 5th wheel set up may be the option.
Trailer may have to be special in that it would almost be like a low loader to have 1 car down low and the other up over the hitch, Then height may be of concern.

Or possibly find an older (like 60s) truck that can have a car loaded on the back and tow a trailer behind that.
UPT do some pretty nice work, but even this setup would be too short for two cars.

102556923_2075189129273048_4175587639634875522_o.jpg