Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car very fumey after cam

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
How would the note and volume change if I went from 100cpi cats to say 400?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
main issue is unburnt fuel in the exhaust at idle from the overlap, once it builds up and the cats cant burn it up then it just fills the exhaust, if u can adjust the injection so its after the EVC so more fuel gets burnt within the cylinder it helps and also gains torque if done right

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Is that link the ones you are using? Surprised they can handle the FI
Not the brand I have, my 400 cells came from a local exhaust shop, so far so good with them, they have done 20k km so far, lots of cruising around and have seen a few trips down the drag strip

The link was for the new ones I'm looking at because I'm going to replace the 2.5" Y on my 3.5" single with a 3" Y and 4" single, more for noise than performance

Racecraft cats were recommended to me by a mate who recently had an exhaust built for his GTR Skyline, he used one of the 3" x 5" bodied 400 cell cats and passed an emissions test when getting his car engineered

My advice as always is to talk to your tuner, well, as long as they are a "good tuner", they can point you in the right direction for a exhaust system that will flow, and pass emissions

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Not the brand I have, my 400 cells came from a local exhaust shop, so far so good with them, they have done 20k km so far, lots of cruising around and have seen a few trips down the drag strip

The link was for the new ones I'm looking at because I'm going to replace the 2.5" Y on my 3.5" single with a 3" Y and 4" single, more for noise than performance

Racecraft cats were recommended to me by a mate who recently had an exhaust built for his GTR Skyline, he used one of the 3" x 5" bodied 400 cell cats and passed an emissions test when getting his car engineered

My advice as always is to talk to your tuner, well, as long as they are a "good tuner", they can point you in the right direction for a exhaust system that will flow, and pass emissions
I also doubt VF models can pass emissions with 400 cell cats and a cam on 98, no doubt the earlier models can.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I've been living with it for 6 years now. The cam is mild (VCM5SC) though the fumes at idle can be quite strong. even with windows closed, the fumes find their way into the car.

I've had the tune tweaked, plus changed the cats from 100cel to 200cel. Made little to no difference.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
most tuners just lean the fuel out thinking it will help the smell, this does not help it makes it worse as there is a lean emission smell then added to the same fuel in the exhaust

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I've been living with it for 6 years now. The cam is mild (VCM5SC) though the fumes at idle can be quite strong. even with windows closed, the fumes find their way into the car.

I've had the tune tweaked, plus changed the cats from 100cel to 200cel. Made little to no difference.
Cheers Pete.

If I did it I’d go 400 cpi big body cats.

Now I know it’s cats not tune I have stopped stressing. I had a very slight fume smell pre cam, makes sense it’s cats

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The "power loss" from 400 cell cats is negligible in a street car, especially if you use Euro 5 400 cell high flow cats with a 5" body, if you search around you can get then to suit 2.5" to 3"
It's only 22rwkw loss with Euro 5 400 cell 5" cats on an M3/M4 BMW. I've never tested it on a VF Commodore and not sure where there's room to fit 5" cats. 10" is too wide to run a pair of 5" cats in the trans tunnel I think.