Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Wash and Shinny

opbatra2kn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 MY12
Fellas,

I am newbie so please bear with me if I ask very basic questions.

I have purchase white 2012 Holden commodore 2012 sv6 a month ago and have been cleaning it with just water and normal cleaning cloth. I noticed the section close to tires is dirty and I can’t be using cloth at that section to clean. I got no paint protection on my car and would like my car to be shinny.

1. What is the recommended way to wash my car? I heard going to Auto-Wash is not a good option, it can possibly put scratches on your car (which I don’t want). If not auto-car wash, how should I clean my car? Any suggested places in Brisbane where I could go? (I can’t wash at my home)
2. How can I keep my car shinny? I heard some product like Wax can be useful. What products are suggested to be used and how often to keep my car shinny?

Thank you in advance for the help.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Ok there is many threads already explaining wash techniques but ill tell you the way i do it.

I fill up a bucket with car wash liquid, i use Meguiars and i have seen best results with that. I have a wash mitt and a sponge in the bucket.
When the bucket is filled and ready to wash i wet the whole car down with the hose.
Then i start with the wash mitt on the roof moving onto the windscreen. Then i rinse them then i do as follows
-Wash bonnet
-Rinse bonnet
-Wash front bumper and both front quarter panels.
-Rinse
I use the mitt to clean the rims if they are not too dirty then the sponge to wash the tyre and the wheel archs
-rinse
-i then do the whole of one side making sure to get every little nook and cranny.
-rinse
-Then the other side
-Rinse
Then the back window boot and rear bumper.
Rinse
Then i use the sponge to clean the exhaust tip
rinse
Wet the whole car again incase any of the water has already dried.
chamois the whole car and rims. Making sure to open doors and get between the doors
I use an old rag to dry the tyres and then put some tyre shin on them.

If my car really needs a polish then ill use kitten polish on it.
But i usually just use some quick detail out of spray bottle.

I never use any products on the windows as it always seems to just turn out sh*t

The auto car washes are bad to go to as it is said that if a rock or anything gets caught in one of the brushes then it will scratch your car.
But The brush free car washes or the "Do it yourself" washes are fine.
I tend to go to the "Do it yourself" washes often as its a much faster way to wash the car

EDIT: TinSnips is the guy to talk to on this forum for these kind of things.
Also this could come in handy https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/191181-your-wash-routine-how-do-you-wash-your-car-3.html

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Jump onto car care products website and check out their how to guides which had videos.

Duragloss car wash is best value in my opinion, nice and slick when washing.

Mint micro fibre wash mitts with 2 bucket method for washing

Duragloss Aquawax with every wash to maintain gloss

Duragloss 105 for paint protection. Easy to apply and lasts months and adds a good gloss to the paint.

Duragloss fast clean m shine for a quick detailer to remove water marks from drying

Mint waffleweave drying towels to dry the car.

Also the best microfibre cloths you can afford to only be used on the paint.

If you need polishing done, maybe consider getting a pro to do it and you maintain it. Definetly don't attack the car with kitten polishes, I wouldn't even use the on my lawn mower!! Car washes, even do it yourself is a bad idea, they use harsh chemicals which will strip any wax or sealant leaving the paint unprotected. They also recycle the water so even the rinse feature has traces of chemicals in it.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Ha ha, using kitten on your mower! I actually used some Meguiars the other day to clean up my Masport mower, looks sweet now, being the charcoal grey color with red rocker cover lol.

I also recently cut and polished my BBQ with the DAS6, I actually clayed it, cut it, polished it for extra shine, then waxed and sealed it. I've never seen my BBQ look like this. What was a really dull black/grey color, is now as shiny as my car!!

Sorry for going off topic, but, just saying kitten brand rubbish should be avoided at all costs. There are many products which work 300% better for maybe 50% more money, although proper techniques are required, and not rubbing kitten polish with little jimmies shirt!!

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Ha ha, using kitten on your mower! I actually used some Meguiars the other day to clean up my Masport mower, looks sweet now, being the charcoal grey color with red rocker cover lol.

I also recently cut and polished my BBQ with the DAS6, I actually clayed it, cut it, polished it for extra shine, then waxed and sealed it. I've never seen my BBQ look like this. What was a really dull black/grey color, is now as shiny as my car!!

Sorry for going off topic, but, just saying kitten brand rubbish should be avoided at all costs. There are many products which work 300% better for maybe 50% more money, although proper techniques are required, and not rubbing kitten polish with little jimmies shirt!!

someone is now a detail junkie lol

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
wow, I used kitten on my roof as it seemed like it needed a bit of a polish and didnt see any difference.
Then i attacked dads expensive polish stash lmao. Not sure what brand it was, ill have a look today

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
For the windows i use Mr. Sheen. Just a little spray, Don't have to use much, Then wipe over and buff with a soft cloth. you don't get any fogging or streaking and its very quick.
WORD OF WARNING. DON'T USE IT ON THE "OUTSIDE" OF THE WINDSCREEN. If you have to use the wipers, it will streak.
But for the other windows, it's the easiest and best i've used.

lukemcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU2 SS
First piece of advice, and this is a good one: Dont go to the carwash. For many reasons, the brushes (both autowash and DIY) will leave swirls and scratches in your clear coat, and the chemicals will generally ruin any hard work you put in putting wax/liquid polish on the car.

EDIT: Sorry, didnt realise you cant wash at home, maybe take your own stuff down late at night?

If you get onto carcareproducts.com.au they have some pretty good tips on keeping your paintwork pristine. A rough guide would be:

2 bucket wash - one to soap up the wash mit (nice soft micro fibre) and the other to rinse it. Use a different cloth for wheels and really filthy sections (just behind the wheels on the skirts etc. If your car is mega filth then change your bucket water mid way through.

Dry with a micro fibre chamois or waffle weave mit. After this you can always put some quick detailer on (dodo juice red mist is a good one)

Thats for a routine wash. To keep your shine, every 6 months hit it with a full wash, then claybar the paint smooth (removes oxidisation and crap stuck in the paintwork) then give it some polish, then a coat of quality wax. Again go to the car care site for good instructions on this, it will make a world of difference in the look and feel of your paint. You can re-apply wax every 3 months or so.

To give you an idea of how regular detailing and maintenance can prolong the life of your paint work heres a side on photo of my ute, its nearly 11 years old, but was previously owned by a detailer, and now by me. Its clayed every 6 months, waxed every 3, washed regularly (i dont drive it much and its garaged).

IMG_1472.jpg

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
there is an echo in here ^^ lol

i didnt notice the cant wash at home either. might be worth looking into optimum no rinse wash for the cleaning. other then that the same spray wax, quick detailer and sealants will work. as mentioned above dodo juice red mist is a great spray sealant (i use it once a month) but i dont like it as a quick detailer.