Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Washes

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
Just wondering, most ppl on here are fanatical about their cars, and looking after them too.

Am I the only person that just goes through the automatic car wash?

I live out in the sticks, so majority of my driving is highway driving, so my car is normally covered in bugs & red dirt... On the off chance I ever go past a car wash, I'll just go through there to give it a rinse.

How bad is it for my car?

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
Never tried one my self, however been in someone else's car during an auto wash, its pretty cool and the car came out crystal clean but it was white in color so couldnt see any signs of damage on paint.

I enjoy washing mine by hand specially that it's black, if a spot is missed you can see the grey spot of grime left out so manual works the best for mine.

What color is your car?

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
It's white.

It never comes out crystal clean... Always bugs left on.. But it gets all the red dirt off at least!

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
Well that's probably my next question then... What's the best stuff to use to get bugs off?

Keep in mind, I'm not about to go through the whole waxing, shining etc routine.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You drive a HSV and aren't gonna wax/polish etc?? You make the baby Jesus sad :(

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Is it a touchless car wash or one with the strips hanging down etc??

I had a blue vy calais before my stato and the previous owner ran it through the car wash all the time, damaged the hell out of the paint after a few years, lots and lots of fine scratches.

I only use a touchless car wash myself if i use one, but they get rid of red dirt from the under carridge like nothing else :D

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
None of my cars have ever been through a auto car wash. The daily car I'll take there to wash myself but that's it.

The SSV makes trips 160kms and gets covered in bugs, but it gets washed nearly every weekend, which literally takes 4/5 hours.

I have a mop like glove to clean the bugs, has a scratch free rough side, works awesome at getting them off & protects the acrylic nails :p

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
my cousin had a black vy ss ute, when he bought it, the dealer gave him free car washes for 3 years, through there automatic car wash, he used it twice a week, and there was no sign of damage even to the day he sold it in 09, he still used them.

been black if it was going to cause damage it would show up

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
My aunt did damage to her car going through one, but this was about 15 years ago now. So I don't know, I guess the technology is a bit better now.

Personally I hand wash and clean my car inside and out every weekend at least. As long as you don't leave animal poo (bat especially), any paint stripping chemicals or any such on your car, your paint should be ok.
The more you look after it, the longer it will last.

Regards,
Mike.