Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car will not crank - V8

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all,

Went to start my car yesterday morning and it wouldn't even crank the starter. So last night I swapped relays with highbeam, gave the pos terminal a once over. But this morning again, same result.
WHAT TO CHECK NEXT?

A back story for those interested: a couple of years back I had a non starting / cutting out issue which turned out to be shitty battery terminals.
Also 2 weeks ago when picking up an engine crane the car would not restart on 2 occasions when off for ten minutes. Remove a battery lead, re attach and then all good. I can't remember taking the car anywhere since (maybe work once).
Seems very electrical issue, I am short on time each night to check. So want good ideas of go-to's.

Thanks all

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Man or auto?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
First check if starter relay is clicking. If not, check the safety switch on the shifter. If it’s clicking, make sure the wire going to the solenoid hasn’t come off the terminal. This happened to me just a few weeks ago.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
First check if starter relay is clicking. If not, check the safety switch on the shifter. If it’s clicking, make sure the wire going to the solenoid hasn’t come off the terminal. This happened to me just a few weeks ago.
In my quiet garage with bonnet up I could hear a click. Swapped relays anyway and no change.
Can you explain more about shifter switch (assuming access from inside the cabin). As sometimes my dad and motorbike obsessed 15m/o son will be left in my car while I put the bike away (so he can watch) and he will walk across centre console to the other seat/window as I reverse the hot bike away. I have wideband gauge where the ashtray was, so potential to move wiring below it with little feet.
Is trans solenoid accessible from underside of car and located on passenger side?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Remote still unlocks the car?

Do the ignition lights come on with they key?

On the VR the safety lockout switch is attached to the shifter under the console panel.

If the relay clicks but no start, remove the relay and use a short lead with spade terminals to jump the starter manually to check the starter is working solenoid is working.

Have you tried the tap the starter solenoid trick?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Remote still unlocks the car?

Do the ignition lights come on with they key?

On the VR the safety lockout switch is attached to the shifter under the console panel.

If the relay clicks but no start, remove the relay and use a short lead with spade terminals to jump the starter manually to check the starter is working solenoid is working.

Have you tried the tap the starter solenoid trick?
Haven't tried key in door or buttons.
Yes lights up like normal, but no kranky kranky.
I have not tried tapping the starter. I will also dodgy some wiring to test things tonight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its sounding like the brushes in the starter motor are worn out. If it was the NSS you would hear nothing. Get your battery tested too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check to see if you have reverse lights. When the NSS plays up reverse lights tend to not work either.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It's either the battery is holding voltage but no current (amps) or the solenoid in the starter motors is cactus, thus not engaging the throw out for the starter pinion to do anything.