Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car will not start (starter motor?)

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Do you hear a clicking sound when you try and start it? Maybe check the relay and the connections at the starter motor. It won't be the immobiliser. Battery should have more than 12 volts, more like 12.7-12.8.

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you can't hear a click from the start relay in the engine bay, try changing it with one of the same type.

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)

Last edited:

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
can you reach the connector from the top of the car? or do we need to jack up the car and check for loose connections on the starter? I'm currently trying to diagnose why the car cant start. eliminated the battery, fuel pump and hope its not a BCM problem and just a matter of the key unable to talk to the car and disengage the immobilizer. Was the connector on the starter motor easy to fix? just a wrench job?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's easier to get at it from underneath, I don't think you can reach it from the top.
The starter motor will still turn over with the immobiliser on, it just won't start.

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
the engine wont start or will it just crank?

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
i just came back from this multi storey carpark and my VX still cant start. So far...
1. Battery is still new (less than a year old), zero corosion at the terminals and all connections from (-) to (+) i've already checked. no cracks . Registers 14.4V, all lights on the dash come out strong.
2. Starter motor came to life for a 2 seconds then dies down completely
3. Turning the key, i hear the familiar buzz of the fuel pump. there is fuel in the tank about 3/4 full
4. Check airfilter, ignition leads and connections from coils to board
5. Checked the connections to the BCM and no corossion. No water and no sounds of rattles
6. did the 'key in the ignition' procedure and cycled it for the last 4 hours and still no way the immobilizer is turning off.

Towing is not an option as trucks are not allowed in this lot, I cant push the car down the steep ramp and i am running out of options

I read about bypassing the immobilizer by splicing wires and hardwiring a resistor inside the ignition barrel...but seriously....is this for real???? to bypass the immobilizer

Feel like throwing the car off the cliff! hope there's some feedback here bcoz the way things are right now...its a long ride via taxi home...