Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car wont run on petrol....any ideas????

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Hi there, I own a 1987 5 speed manual VL Berlina. It is running dual fuel but some reason it will run fine on gas just wont run on petrol at all.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before and if so how was it fixed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated........cheers

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Common problem, just save up for a few months till you can afford to fill the fuel tank.

No sorry, just joking. I would try the fuel pump. That would explain things.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
check the fuel pump fuses and pumps, there are usually 2 electric pumps, 1 in the tank and 1 behind it
if needed, both are readily available in a choice of brands
also look for a kinked or twisted rubber fule line

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
ok lpg.. how long since you ran it on petrol last?

It could be blocked injectors, clogged fuel rail or lines, seized fuel pump, insufficent petrol?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
^^ true, seals get dry and brittle if its not "flicked over" to petrol at least once a tank of LPG even just for 20 minutes or so to keep the fuel system fresh. Also the low preesure pump in the tank relies on petrol flowing through it to keep it from overheating and dying.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
ucwepn said:
^^ true, seals get dry and brittle if its not "flicked over" to petrol at least once a tank of LPG even just for 20 minutes or so to keep the fuel system fresh. Also the low preesure pump in the tank relies on petrol flowing through it to keep it from overheating and dying.

Could be part of the problem.....I have the interior completely stripped at the moment and the car has been sitting in the shed for over 12 months, but when i bought it, it would only run on gas......

You can hear the fuel pump when u turn the ignition on, so i dont think its that......but i could be wrong....when i get some time i will take the hose off the fuel rail and see if fuel flows out the hose and go from there......

cheers for all the advice so far.....