Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
hey guys

today i was re wiring my fog lights so i removed the battery out of my car (placed it beside a flat battery on a piece of wood) for about an hour, i also cleaned up some speaker wire near the cars computer (never touched the computer) then i put the battery in everything electrical was working then i tried to start the car but all that happens is a clicking noise and the blue high beam indicator comes up on the cluster

these are some possible causes below

keep in mind that the battery is 4 months old
the negative terminal is bit loose has been fine every other day
i tried removing the wiring that i installed but the car still wont start
everything else electrical works on the car

any suggestions please leave a reply
cheers
:bang:

Last edited:

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
A negative terminal that is a bit loose will cause this, tighten it. If it's at maximum tightness, buy a new terminal, they're $4 or put a metal packer around the battery post.

Check all your fuses.

Hope that wire you cleaned up was definitely speaker wire.........

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
thanks guys ill put in some new terminals and let u know :)

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
i changed the terminals but i still got the same problem, i think the battery is flat, anyone know why the battery died even tho its not that old? the car was sitting in the backyard since i got it 6 months ago, and was started/driven every 2 weeks or so.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I had a Subaru that was in the same circumstance, started/driven every couple of weeks over 6 months while I was away. Same thing happened that you have described, Auto club came said the battery was stuffed. Drove it to a Battery shop they said its just due to the type of battery and the usage (lack of) that it had. A few long drives and frequent use again and it was fine.

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
so should i jumps start it and take it for a drive?

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
You may as well invest in a new battery. Once the cells degrade, it's pretty useless.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Once a normal wet cell battery is fully discharged and re charged, it will never be the same.
They are not designed to discharge and be recharged like a deep cycle battery.
The more it happens, the more the battery will not hold charge.
The plates in the cells are thinner than a deep cycle battery and being thinner, tend to warp more easily.
Once this happens, voltage can't travel through the battery.
The 12 volt battery is made up of 6 cells and each cell is 2 volts. So think of the battery as 6 batteries joined in series to make up one big battery.
So, if a battery drops a cell, it's like taking one battery out of the "pack".

A cold environment, such as the winter months is also not good for any battery, as this accelerates the discharge cycle.
In conjunction with voltage, they also rely on a certain amount of heat to charge the battery. So if the battery is to be charged,
it is wise to remove it from the vehicle and place it on an insulated surface, not on bare concrete and under cover if possible.
Also not being driven (charged) regularly, is also a factor in the performance of a battery.

Having said all that, you could try and charge it on a "smart charger". (Normally used for deep cycle batteries).
Unlike normal chargers, these chargers go through 3 or more different cycles to charge the battery.
On the negative side, they are expensive. Starting at over $100 and going up and up.