Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car wont strart

Holdengirl2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2007 ssv v8
Hi drove my car to servo the other day turned it off as normal now it wont start any ideas racq said it has immobilized its self.
Thanks
Car is ve ss 2007 and its also a v8

Holdengirl2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2007 ssv v8
They only did a battery tester then said it was immobilized and saud something about missing a ring around the ignition so car immobilized

Holdengirl2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2007 ssv v8
Yeah i have it booked in for next week but havibg small kids and no car is hell

Holdengirl2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2007 ssv v8
Spare key lost in house fire last year and tried a battery didnt do anything. Thanks for your help im hoping its easy to miss driven my car lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think the VE key has a metallic bump on it the should line up and make contact with a half moon ring around the ignition barrel itself. IIRC, this allows the key to be powered and thus signal the anti theft system as you turn the key to start.

Not sure of the mechanics of the ignition barrel itself but if the half moon ring is missing, it must have fallen off and could be under your seat (if you are lucky). If you do find the ring, it may be possible to push it back on so that it makes electrical contact with the appropriate bits around the ignition barrel. As such, the key may now be able to disarm the security system and allow the vehicle to start.

Obviously, if it can be “McGivered” it will be a cheap and possibly permanent fix as compared to the dealer suggestion of may be a new ignition barrel at who knows what cost. But then again may be such a “McGiver” fix is not be possible as I’d think the RACQ would have looked at it in a cost focused way o_O

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think the VE key has a metallic bump on it the should line up and make contact with a half moon ring around the ignition barrel itself. IIRC, this allows the key to be powered and thus signal the anti theft system as you turn the key to start.

That was pre VE.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That was pre VE.
Prior to my MSE, the last Holden I owned was back in the mid 80’s so relying on vague memory of acquaintance’s cars hasn’t served me well in this instance :oops:

So to sooth my curiosity, which model was it that had the ring around the ignition barrel?