Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car write off question

phatsix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Im new to insurance side of things so dont have a clue whats going on.

After the storms in perth my car got quite a bit of hail damage. (bonnet, roof, boot and some other dings)

I got a quote just then from an insurance "preferred" repairer. He said due to the amount of cars in queue to be repaired, most insurance companies would rather call cars write offs.

Just wondering, if my car were to be a write off, do they repossess the car and sell it?

Also do you get a choice whether you want it repaired or written off?
Cheers

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
The roof would be the most expensive part of that repair. So if they see it cheaper to write it off over repairing it they will.

Not sure if you get a choice write off or repair. Also they will pay you market or agreed value and sell off the car for what ever they can get.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
As slick said, you will only get market value for the car unless you have it insured for agreed value. I doubt you get a choice to repair it if the Insurance Company wants to write it off. Only choice is to have buy the wreck back once they have paid you out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It would depend on your insurance company's policy. I had a car written off due to hail damage in the mid 90's. The bonnet, turret (it was a wagon) and the top surfaces of the front guards were pretty hammered.

The car was insured for $5,700 and repair cost was over 50% of the insured value so NRMA wrote it off. I had a number of options available to me when I claimed. The car could be written off and I would receive the full payout, less excess, or I could have received the repair value in cash and kept the car, unrepaired, but also uninsurable. If the car had been newer, I might have taken the cash, fixed it myself then reinsured it, but being a wagon and not worth much, I took the write off option.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If it's a write-off the insurance company will most likely take the keys off you on the spot, give you time to collect your belongings out of it and then hire you a taxi.

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i have 3rd party, accident was another guys fault, i got market value for mine, and the car back -minus towing fees to bring it to my house, car was classed as a repairable write off, all it needed was a new bar, bonnet and bumper bar support