Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Write-Off

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
as already said, go through your insurance. the only thing I can add is that the reason the insurer said "we'll look at it after" is because there is no real way to make a diagnosis on faulty drivetrain/suspension and the like until you actually go for a drive. they'll fix what they can see, but then if there's an issue with a clunky transmission or car doesnt drive right, they are obligated to fix it. but definitely dont sign anything or agree to anything with the other insurer. ALWAYS report the incident to your insurer and then let them represent you.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
as already said, go through your insurance. the only thing I can add is that the reason the insurer said "we'll look at it after" is because there is no real way to make a diagnosis on faulty drivetrain/suspension and the like until you actually go for a drive. they'll fix what they can see, but then if there's an issue with a clunky transmission or car doesnt drive right, they are obligated to fix it. but definitely dont sign anything or agree to anything with the other insurer. ALWAYS report the incident to your insurer and then let them represent you.

Or more likely after you have signed the repairs off, and you find a problem they will go, your fault, tough ****.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
being an auto they physicaly lock up when you put them in park and that coupled with the hand break it is not likely that there would be any damage to the transmission from the shunt.

what damages autos is when you tow them because the oil feed pump is driven off the input shaft and when they are towed the output shaft and all the gear sets are spinning but the input shaft is not so there is no oil feed around the gearbox.

there is possibly some stress damage to your diff gears as they dont like shock loads so i would deffanatly be asking for them to be atleast inspected by a expert.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm intrigued as to how this is even repairable, it knocked the car up a gutter and a car length down. When a girl hit my car with just a 2 metre run-up it did near $6000 worth of damage, my car didn't even move.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Or more likely after you have signed the repairs off, and you find a problem they will go, your fault, tough ****.

you dont sign off on it until you are sure everything is as it should be.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
lol have a look in the jokes/humour section and find the story of the old lady who jumped a gutter in a car park and landed on another car hahahahahaha reminds me of this :p

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
sorry for laughing mate cause whats happening is bullshit! dont let them push you around

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
the ve's are a modular desgine so they are cheaper and easier to repair and repair well. but they have to be done exactly to the book or they are ruined.
i know one case where a car was written off because the wrong type of selant cement was used putting in the new plastic boot mold and they refussed to sign if of due to the fact they could not garantee that it would preform correctly in a crash.

its a catch 20 type of thing because greater damage can be repaired befor they will write it off but it does help to keep insurance down on a moden car.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
got a point there i think they are all pretty much cactus from a side on impact though