Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Carb 253-Throttle body injection?

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Hey all,

Slowly fixing up the old mans Premier wagon, HZ, 253, Trimatic...currently has a 2 barrel carb on it, but I got to thinking...what if I was to buy an off the shelf throttle body injection kit from Holley, FAST or similar?

Not after outright power, as its just a cruiser, but I figure I it looks stock ish, but returns better economy, that can't be a bad thing right?

Just wondering if anyone has done it before. Would the stock air cleaner fit over the top?

And before anyone says it, the 253 is staying.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I remember I guy I used to work with (many years ago) fit one of those Pro-Jection Holley injection throttle body to his 253 VC
He was impressed. Overall power was about the same as the Quady, but he mentioned it had improved throttle response, fuel economy and drive-ability.

I don't think you could go too wrong

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
I'd be interested to see who has used these aswel, I've heard alot of second hand positive feedback like above but none firsthand.

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i did a lot of research on the FAST stuff and couldnt really pick any faults with it TBH. the preset maps are handy, but im not sure that there would one for a 4.2ltr, hoever i believe that the fast kit is tuneable, whereas im 98% sure holley is pre-set only which may be annoying.

the only drawback is the price. if youre seriously thinking about it for saving money on fuel then think of it like this: $3.5K is a LOT of tanks of fuel.

you will still need to figure out a return hose. there was talk of fast developing a returnless system, which may exist, but wasnt available when i was looking.
the 4150 style throttle body (1000cfm) is a replica of a holley, so the linkages and air filter fittings are exact, so you can put your stock 253 air cleaner on and just be downright friggin awesome.
still unsure of RWC conditions for these. although they will give you better fuel economy and better emissions, im not sure how vic roads (or whatever traffic office you have in TAS) will feel about it. it could easily be argued that it meets and exceeds ADR27a, but the BS you have to go through to get the acreditation should be added to the cost of the kit when youre thinking about how long before you see a return on savings.

plus ill be jealous. i really want throttle syle on my impala, but ill just have to wait till i have more funds.

but yeah, based on my research and no real life expierence, id say go for it 100% if you can afford it.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if your gonna spend the money on efi go injector per port( multipoint).going TBI is not really much better than a carby all your fuel still ends up on the manifold runners like carberator systems.the bigest costs will be a 308 inlet manifold and 4 barrel TB plus injectors the rest of the stuff can be had from pickapart

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if your gonna spend the money on efi go injector per port( multipoint).going TBI is not really much better than a carby all your fuel still ends up on the manifold runners like carberator systems.the bigest costs will be a 308 inlet manifold and 4 barrel TB plus injectors the rest of the stuff can be had from pickapart

yeah this ^ i kinda forgot that were not talking SBC, so your only option is TBI unless you custom make a manifold :( seems easier/cheaper to just get a whole 5litre top and retune it for the 2fluffy3

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
4 v6 fuel rails and some alloy plate gets it done :D
file.php

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
I swear that's irrigation pipe/pressure pipe as an intake:p

Pm me.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha probably is its one of our forum members rides

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Ha ha, the intake itself looks quite cleverly done.

Pm me.