Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

carb heat

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh wagon/efi 202 off road car
Has anyone else had issues with the varijet after installing headers/extractors? flat spots etc from the removal of the standard carb heat setup

XMY308

Reaction score
Members Ride
5LT VS series 3 UTE manual
this is a 6cyl yes. did u remove the carby the base gasket may be leaking also did u replace all the hoses corectly. some times it could be a split hose they look fine but on closer inspection domage has been done on removal.

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
All that was done was the installation of headers,
The standard manifold has a part of it that bolts to the bottom of the inlet manifold to provide heat to aid fuel vapourisation and emmissions.
The carb has been overhauled, the guys that overhauled it say the problems (flat spot, gutless) are caused by lack of heat, I am interested to see how other people have gotten round this problem.
An XE weber is going on in a few months which will get rid of this problem but thats months away,

I am wondering how all the other people with headers and varijets have got around this problem

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
with my experiance of the varajet carby they all end up getting a flatspot in them, even ones with the standard exhaust system, once they get old the best thing to do with that carb is throw it out the door

XMY308

Reaction score
Members Ride
5LT VS series 3 UTE manual
is it a problem all the time or only when you drive it first thing. within bout 2 min driving time dont matter if you got heat risers attached or not . it grts pretty fugin hot. did u have the carby overhauled before or after fitment of rackies.

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
the carb was overhauled but the problem turned out to be the mechanical advance was too stiff.
old time 202 lad found it

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
get a holley 350. that kicks anus when youve got headers on any 202 ;)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I just bought a copy of the factory Varijet manual, horay :). That's the only thing that needs a bit of work on my SLE, then I'm going for a cruise