Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carb VK analogue dash swap to calais digital.

Aussie84

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Commodore
G'day lads, I've been browsing the forums for some info on swapping the analogue dash to the digital one in the VK calais, since my analogue one is rooted and my previous cars all had digital dashboards (weird personal tradition)

I see a lot of people saying you need to match up sensors, and need new harnesses and whatnot, but I've seen nothing on compatibility between the calais dashes (which I assume are from the EFI models) and the standard analogue one that came in my carbed 308 car. That's my first rookie question.

But other than that, I'd like as much info on swapping the dashes as possible, the brain trust in here hasn't failed me yet! Pictures for comparison, wide shot of interior is my dash setup, second pic is google.
15515545_737290656428213_466136262_o.jpg
VKint5.jpg

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Jeeze the VK Calais dash was a nice piece of work. In some ways it is even better than the setup in my VF.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. you will need all the harnesses and senders to match the dash
(personally, I would find a donor Calais and strip that)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Main thing would be speedo sensor & dash harness
Assume water & oil senders the same.Rev tacho can usually be recalibrated

Most went the other way to analogue as was something in digital dash goes haywire.

Agree with Smitty easiest way would be grab it all off a donor car if can find one & it all still works

crb

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 vk
I'm doing this conversion into my SL right now. Purchased an entire body loom because the two main plugs that go to the dash loom have got additional wires going in them and I wanted to know where they went. You will also need the dash loom (different to the analogue dash) and the cluster surround with the trip computer switches. Still researching about the fuel flow for the trip computer. So far I have the speedo working (running ecotec v6 engine) and coolant temp. Tacho not working and fuel level not working but I have only had my car back on the road a couple days so there are still things I need to sort. If you're running your factory engine with speedo cable you will need the transducer which converts the cable speed to digital pulsed output. unsure yet what else

Jarreth howard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk sl, UC sunbird
From my understanding as im trying to do the same thing. The electronic dash gets its sensor readings from the transducer. Dont quote me on this as im still learning myself but that was just my understanding from bits and pieces ive read