Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carbon Fibre wheels for VF commodores

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I paid $11k rims only for my Merc without first doing other mods, I've never tracked it with them on, I put the stock AMG forged rims on for that, they're cheaper to replace if I damage one.

There is a noticeable difference with the way the car launches when I swap them for the stock rims.

Why'd I pay $11k for four rims, because I liked the look of them and anything less would have looked cheap, I'd buy the Carbon Fibre rims at $16K but they don't float my boat, I'd have to have a coating applied to get rid of the CF look and that would defeat much of the appeal of owning them.

Mod your car how you like, some people go bling, some go power, some go both, my only advice would be if you choose the power route then do your brakes first.

Brakes don't win races.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Brakes don't win races.
The more punishement that a brake system can cope with, the more the driver can relied on them for late braking into a corner. So given any two cars with same weight and power, the better braking car will always get around the corner first. And if brakes didn't win races, F1 or any other top level race category wouldn't have busineeses that invest so much R&D on their brake systems and thus the cars wouldn't have such expensive brakes.

Regardless, on a public road, increasing power on a road car where such may exeed the capabilities of a braking system isn't a safe approach. It's sure as hell much safety if brakes are also upgraded to cope with the new found power. In a pubic road context, it's not about winning races but more about avoiding a crash and a trip to hospital or worse.

If it was a tonge in cheek comment, ignore the above... but note an emoji would help :p

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
The more punishement that a brake system can cope with, the more the driver can relied on them for late braking into a corner. So given any two cars with same weight and power, the better braking car will always get around the corner first. And if brakes didn't win races, F1 or any other top level race category wouldn't have busineeses that invest so much R&D on their brake systems and thus the cars wouldn't have such expensive brakes.

Regardless, on a public road, increasing power on a road car where such may exeed the capabilities of a braking system isn't a safe approach. It's sure as hell much safety if brakes are also upgraded to cope with the new found power. In a pubic road context, it's not about winning races but more about avoiding a crash and a trip to hospital or worse.

If it was a tonge in cheek comment, ignore the above... but note an emoji would help :p
But you got to admit they only slow you down

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hahaha, that they do... :p:cool:

(F1 and electric car brake systems also recover some energy ... not quite brakes in the true sence though same same but different )

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It is possible in the USA to buy carbon fibre doors for a mustang that weigh less than the door hinges. However they are not street legal. So from a weight reduction point they would be fantastic. You would have to find out if they are legal. Have you checked out the price of carbon fibre wheels on other cars.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It's the way they slow you down that makes the difference. If you want to go fast you have to be able to stop fast.

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

It was tonge in cheek.
But many champion race drivers and riders say the same thing. Note the loosing drivers never say it.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The best brakes in the world will not save you if you are speeding, loose control and head straight for a tree. I see a few recent (fatal) examples of this from expensive, hyped-up cars in country Victoria. One was an AMG MB about one month back that careened out of control on a clear bend near Castlemaine and shot into a tree. Both driver and passenger died. They braked hard (long skidmarks) but the car had lost it completely.