Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carburettor conversion to ecotec

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just out of interest,has anyone ever done a carburettor conversion to their buick or ecotec?I was talking to a bloke the other day who's mate had a carbied buick V6 in a Landrover Discovery.His mate reckons since he has done the convert,its a lot better on fuel and goes a lot harder?Could this be true?I dont know , thats why i'm asking.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was talking to a bloke the other day who's mate

Nuff said, old mate talking again. Highly doubt either of those things to that effect. Tuning aspects/paremters also come into play here, and EFI should do much better.

People have done the conversion, but it's usually to fit the regulations of some kind of racing class, and even then they usually retain the ECU for ignition as there's no dizzy for these.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
EFI is just straight up a better system.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Ok it's a load of BS.
What was in the 4X4 before the V6 was put in and or was it Roo Ted.
EFI beats a carby any day.
Look at a VK Commodore 3.3L carby powered and it's 3.3L EFI
Or a VL 5.0L to a VN 5.0L EFI kills it.

A LJ Torana GTR XU-1 had 190hp gross and it works out about 148hp net.
A VK Commodore 3.3L had 148hp net and this complies with ADR law, sure it does not rev like a XU-1 but it drives like a normal car without the big cam and better on fuel.
Put the VK 3.3L EFI into a LJ Torana and a 5sp manual and she would go well.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Ok ,i get the picture,this bloke was "The Great Walking Eagle" ,to full of **** to fly!I thought it might have been a long shot but thought i would ask the question anyway.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ok it's a load of BS.
What was in the 4X4 before the V6 was put in and or was it Roo Ted.
EFI beats a carby any day....
...Or a VL 5.0L to a VN 5.0L EFI kills it....
Put the VK 3.3L EFI into a LJ Torana and a 5sp manual and she would go well.
Not exactly. VL to VN, the heads/manifold/cam are the reason for the power differences.
For the black EFI 202, power gains are attributed to the camshaft and revised head design. Granted the manifold is also a little nicer than some of the carb versions.

In terms of power, carb and EFI are equals at WOT. Everywhere else EFI wins.
EFI generally gives much better economy, tuneability, driveability and reliability.

As for the OP, that bloke's talking ****.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Not exactly. VL to VN, the heads/manifold/cam are the reason for the power differences.
For the black EFI 202, power gains are attributed to the camshaft and revised head design. Granted the manifold is also a little nicer than some of the carb versions.

In terms of power, carb and EFI are equals at WOT. Everywhere else EFI wins.
EFI generally gives much better economy, tuneability, driveability and reliability.

As for the OP, that bloke's talking ****.
3.3L EFI head to a 3.3L blue, black carby fed head is nothing to talk about in flow.
Yes the cam is a bit bigger in the EFI 3.3L.

The Holden V8 EFI head to a VL 5.0L carby fed I meant, no stock carby ADR27A HX to VK-L will cut it with a VN 5.0L but a stock pre ADR27A 308 can go just as hard, it's got nothing to do with the intake manifold cam or heads.
The HG 308 GTS had 204hp net and the VN 5.0L had 221hp DIN but the HG had more grunt down low and the VN a little more up top I would say.
ADR27A turned the 5.0L into a slug until the 5.0L EFI came about and it's not all about maxim power figures.
A HG 308 GTS with extractors and jetted correctly tune with a open air filter can perform even better than a stock VN 5.0L will.

Courier Ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Carb Ecotec in Courier
SAM_1426.JPG
Newby here Hi,
I have been running a Ford Courier ute now for about 4 years with a VS ecotec engine with a carb:eek:
Mega jolt ignition, ford edis:eek:, trigger wheel mounted behind the harmonic balancer.
Home cast upper section on a supercharged lower manifold for a 4 barrel but have put on an adaptor plate to run a Holley 2 barrel from 345 International V8 which has mechanical secondaries, runs just as well as a small 4 barrel. When I got the exhaust put on the first thing the bloke who didd it said was it doesn't mang like a commodore. It has no rev limiter set, I slide my toe off the clutch from valve float and it just keeps on going. This is an engine that sat in a paddock for 5 years with no manifolds on it and was not expected to run for long before needing replacing.
Just recently completed a 600k trip to pick up some alpacas towing a horse float and got 12l per 100.
I will try to post some pics

Courier Ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Carb Ecotec in Courier
The picture of the engine bay is the first manifold I made which was on the top of the bottom half of a NA manifold. It used to backfire when hard into it. I am in the process of building a new engine with balance shaft removed, internally balanced crank, rollmaster gears, degreed supercharged cam (don't know if there is a difference but it was in good nick and in the engine). Thinking of maybe a rear mount turbo and maybe emu efi but maybe blow through. I also have a supercharger setup laying around which could go suck through. Who knows. I spend the least I can and have a quick farm truck which opens the eyes of alot of high dollar cars.

Brock