Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carburettor conversion to ecotec

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by zx7rtas, Dec 19, 2017.

1. zx7rtas

zx7rtas Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5SPD WAGON
    Just out of interest,has anyone ever done a carburettor conversion to their buick or ecotec?I was talking to a bloke the other day who's mate had a carbied buick V6 in a Landrover Discovery.His mate reckons since he has done the convert,its a lot better on fuel and goes a lot harder?Could this be true?I dont know , thats why i'm asking.

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Nuff said, old mate talking again. Highly doubt either of those things to that effect. Tuning aspects/paremters also come into play here, and EFI should do much better.

People have done the conversion, but it's usually to fit the regulations of some kind of racing class, and even then they usually retain the ECU for ignition as there's no dizzy for these.

Commo Baba likes this.
  3. Zehq

Zehq Member

Members Ride:
    2009 VE SV6
    EFI is just straight up a better system.

4. Zeke Topanaga

Zeke Topanaga Active Member

Members Ride:
    HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
    Ok it's a load of BS.
    What was in the 4X4 before the V6 was put in and or was it Roo Ted.
    EFI beats a carby any day.
    Look at a VK Commodore 3.3L carby powered and it's 3.3L EFI
    Or a VL 5.0L to a VN 5.0L EFI kills it.

A LJ Torana GTR XU-1 had 190hp gross and it works out about 148hp net.
    A VK Commodore 3.3L had 148hp net and this complies with ADR law, sure it does not rev like a XU-1 but it drives like a normal car without the big cam and better on fuel.
    Put the VK 3.3L EFI into a LJ Torana and a 5sp manual and she would go well.

5. zx7rtas

zx7rtas Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5SPD WAGON
    Ok ,i get the picture,this bloke was "The Great Walking Eagle" ,to full of **** to fly!I thought it might have been a long shot but thought i would ask the question anyway.

6. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Not exactly. VL to VN, the heads/manifold/cam are the reason for the power differences.
    For the black EFI 202, power gains are attributed to the camshaft and revised head design. Granted the manifold is also a little nicer than some of the carb versions.

In terms of power, carb and EFI are equals at WOT. Everywhere else EFI wins.
    EFI generally gives much better economy, tuneability, driveability and reliability.

As for the OP, that bloke's talking ****.

7. Zeke Topanaga

Members Ride:
    3.3L EFI head to a 3.3L blue, black carby fed head is nothing to talk about in flow.
    Yes the cam is a bit bigger in the EFI 3.3L.

The Holden V8 EFI head to a VL 5.0L carby fed I meant, no stock carby ADR27A HX to VK-L will cut it with a VN 5.0L but a stock pre ADR27A 308 can go just as hard, it's got nothing to do with the intake manifold cam or heads.
    The HG 308 GTS had 204hp net and the VN 5.0L had 221hp DIN but the HG had more grunt down low and the VN a little more up top I would say.
    ADR27A turned the 5.0L into a slug until the 5.0L EFI came about and it's not all about maxim power figures.
    A HG 308 GTS with extractors and jetted correctly tune with a open air filter can perform even better than a stock VN 5.0L will.

8. Courier Ecotec

Courier Ecotec New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Carb Ecotec in Courier
    SAM_1426.JPG Newby here Hi,
    I have been running a Ford Courier ute now for about 4 years with a VS ecotec engine with a carb:eek:
    Mega jolt ignition, ford edis:eek:, trigger wheel mounted behind the harmonic balancer.
    Home cast upper section on a supercharged lower manifold for a 4 barrel but have put on an adaptor plate to run a Holley 2 barrel from 345 International V8 which has mechanical secondaries, runs just as well as a small 4 barrel. When I got the exhaust put on the first thing the bloke who didd it said was it doesn't mang like a commodore. It has no rev limiter set, I slide my toe off the clutch from valve float and it just keeps on going. This is an engine that sat in a paddock for 5 years with no manifolds on it and was not expected to run for long before needing replacing.
    Just recently completed a 600k trip to pick up some alpacas towing a horse float and got 12l per 100.
    I will try to post some pics

9. Courier Ecotec

Members Ride:
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG] SAM_0916.JPG SAM_1462.JPG

10. Courier Ecotec

Members Ride:
    The picture of the engine bay is the first manifold I made which was on the top of the bottom half of a NA manifold. It used to backfire when hard into it. I am in the process of building a new engine with balance shaft removed, internally balanced crank, rollmaster gears, degreed supercharged cam (don't know if there is a difference but it was in good nick and in the engine). Thinking of maybe a rear mount turbo and maybe emu efi but maybe blow through. I also have a supercharger setup laying around which could go suck through. Who knows. I spend the least I can and have a quick farm truck which opens the eyes of alot of high dollar cars.

Brock

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    hahahahahahaha

See, I've had first hand experience with each of the engines I commented on (having owned, rebuilt, worked on and have done much research on each one), so I know that you're talking ****.

Firstly, VL 304 heads are just large valve late pollution heads which use the same port layout as 308's - all had carby apart from the vl group a. VN was the first to see a mass produced EFI Holden V8.

In vehicles of equivalent weight and setup, stock for stock, the EFI 304 would blow the earlier engines out of the water. But that's not because of the EFI. Convert the same efi 304 to carb and it'd tromp even a stock EFI 304.

12. Courier Ecotec

Members Ride:
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Yes it has been done.
    Haven't put it on on a dyno but it goes pretty hard for a motor from a paddock, literally just went and beat up on it.
    Must have read the question wrong.
    I usually do stuff instead of write about it.

Brock

13. Zeke Topanaga

Members Ride:
    Tromp it for emission laws as well with a carby fed V8 VN does it, not to mention fuel economy or just what carby.

I know that a good setup carby and jetted spot on are not all that bad, I have that on my dirt bike and I don't want, or see the point of going to a EFI setup, some say to me, you will get better fuel economy with EFI and I say BS it will, because EFI MX and enduro bikes don't have mass air flow or such setups on them and as for power well I will keep my carby.
    EFI 2 Strokes now are way beyond what any carby can do.

14. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Nicely done mate and welcome to the forum.

Ignore the bickering from the other members :)

The ecotec and L67 (supercharged engine) use the same cam but the L67 has the cam timed in in a different spot.

Commo Baba likes this.
  15. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    You were arguing power figures, not emissions.

And what do you mean 'don't have mass air flow'? The things make 60hp for some of the 250cc 2 strokes. That's bloody good volumetric efficiency.

The only reason that efi 2 strokes have been developed is so that they can continue to meet euro emission standards to compete in FIM and similar enduro events. Efi is far superior in terms of fuelling adjustments for air temp/density/altitude. Apart from that, it's just added complexity with an intank high pressure pump that is prone to failure. Many are part of the tank or 'fuel cell' which is a $1000+ part. They're still all just port injected anyway apart from a few jetski's and snow mobiles. 2 stroke direct injection will be the beginning of a new 2 stroke reign I feel.

Btw, I'm into my bikes more than into cars. 4 strokes really are an uneconomical choice these days unless you buy an old dinosaur like an xr.

harrop.senator and yamahahatim like this.
  16. Zeke Topanaga

Members Ride:
    XR Honda's now that's a good subject, It's a interesting subject all the bikes from 1970 on to see in the evolution developments can be inspiring, before that is not to me much chop but some what interesting.

MAF sensor can not handle the abuse of a MX or endruo bike, such is the fuel economy device.

Look at how the old 2 stroke MX bikes ran 20:1, then 32:1, then 50:1 and 60:1 and now with a EFI it can be 100 or more, look at the EFI 2 stroke boat engines you can get now, we thought it was the end of the road for 2 strokes some years ago.

I keep away from the EFI dirt bikes, not that they are bad, but I have the best bike in the world ever made for what I use it for.
    I know all a bout the fuel pump problems they can have and 8L to 9L tanks most have are a pain to me. 10 to 12L is good for good rides without constant worrying and over that is just big bulky crap.

17. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    howz about we keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss something other start your own thread!

Commo Baba likes this.
  18. Grega

Grega Member

Members Ride:
    VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
    thats awesome Brock - well done mate. top job.