Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

carburrettored V6

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That was a LS1 countess, this guy is talking about his V6, just want to make the V6 go like a crusty old carby 202 I think :)

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
i think he's actually aiming at a 186 greeny :thumbsup:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
why not just transplant in an old grey motor, will go like the clappers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm pretty sure Edelbrock do a carby manifold for the buick V6 3800 as thats how they came out in the states, lots of stufing around however with all your sensors etc

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's still crazy when you wont ever get the same throttle response, power, economy or ease of tuning that you have with efi plus it's 110 times illegal, may as well pay 400 bucks for a big lump of lead to stick on the floor on the car :) to get the same result. May as well just buy a VT :)

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
It's still crazy when you wont ever get the same throttle response, power, economy or ease of tuning that you have with efi plus it's 110 times illegal, may as well pay 400 bucks for a big lump of lead to stick on the floor on the car :) to get the same result. May as well just buy a VT :)

Why would it be illegal to turn your car to carby? How is this related to lead. there are carby engine's that run on unleaded. I definately think turning your car into carby would ve a very stupid idea. If you what carby why not buy a crusty old commodore. I see no advanyages in carby at all.It is worse in every way.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
why carby an injected six? The efficiency of the engine is compromised. The fuel injected system holds more advantages, why do you think modern cars don't have carby's?

Actually the main motivation for domestic manufacturers to go to EFI was emissions laws, much easier to reach emissions targets with EFI. Has economy power and easy tuning advantages as well but from what I've read they weren't the main reasons.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Why would it be illegal to turn your car to carby? How is this related to lead. there are carby engine's that run on unleaded. I definately think turning your car into carby would ve a very stupid idea. If you what carby why not buy a crusty old commodore. I see no advanyages in carby at all.It is worse in every way.

He's saying that it would be a performance detriment and that buying a lump of lead (heavy metal) to put in the car would have the same effect for less dosh. It would most likely be illegal because a car has to meet emissions laws for the year it was manufactured. To make a carby vehicle meet the emissions requirements that the VN was subjected to would be very difficult and would most likely end up with the vehicle being a highly underpowered piece of pus. Carby does have a couple of advantages, main one I can think of being no electronics (or less electronics), another being nostalgia but apparently that isn't a valid engineering specification.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
speaking of emmisioms laws the a VN carby would still pass for emmisions. Although you would have more emmisions for carby you would not have as much as a VN V8. And since it is legal to convert a VN V6 to V8 it would be legal to convert a V6 to carby.:yeah: But that doesn't mean i support converting

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It is illegal because the car wont run in closed loop anymore at a fuel ratio of 14.7 so the cat wont burn the smog properly and therfore is illegal 110%x 100 and it could quite easily make 50 times more smog than a VN V8 with efi :)

p.s and it will be slow and crap