Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby insulators

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys,
I have a question about a HX. I know that this is the wrong forum but I'm not on another forum and it is still a classic 202.
I need to know what would be best to make the carby insulator out of.
What has happened is that the flange on the bottom of the stromberg has broken into two pieces. I put another carby on, had hardly tightened the nuts and the new one broke. I put a straight edge on the insulator and found it is bowed in the middle which would explain why the carbys have broken.
I have shopped around and everyone tells me I can't get them anymore and that I have to make it up.
I was thinking of possibly using that compressed leather stuff.
So, what do you guys reckon?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You could just sand your old insulator flat. Lay some sandpaper ontop of a piece of flat glass then sand the insulator flat by rubbing in a circular motion. You can use this method to make sure the carby base is flat as well.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
85berlina said:
Hi guys,
I have a question about a HX. I know that this is the wrong forum but I'm not on another forum and it is still a classic 202.
I need to know what would be best to make the carby insulator out of.
What has happened is that the flange on the bottom of the stromberg has broken into two pieces. I put another carby on, had hardly tightened the nuts and the new one broke. I put a straight edge on the insulator and found it is bowed in the middle which would explain why the carbys have broken.
I have shopped around and everyone tells me I can't get them anymore and that I have to make it up.
I was thinking of possibly using that compressed leather stuff.
So, what do you guys reckon?
Whatever you make it out of, make sure it is not compressible or to flexible. Plywood would work at a pinch. You just have to epoxy the hole bore to seal it. If you can get bakelite this would be suitable as in the old days this what was used. There are some other materials such as Delrin if you can get it in sheet form. Some perspex's may also work. Make sure the manifold carb mounting flange and carb base are flat.