Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby to efi conversion vk

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Hey guys, I’ve got a black 202 carby vk and have been thinking about going to efi for a while.
Wondering how much effort it would be and what parts I would need to do so.
If theirs another thread could you please link it, cheers

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Not much gain bolting the factory efi on an est engine using the vk efi system its a dud.
you need the rocker cover, fuel return line ,fuel rail injectors, efi inlet throttle body , extractors ,he1 distributor, efi tank , fuel pump a vr tank would do it. done it a few times in reality I was disappointed after driving my efi converted vk. then I put a 3.23 diff in it and made it drink more fuel. the efi motor had a better cam where the extra power the efi motor had probably came from from the few I played with when 6 cylinder vk commodores where worth nothing.

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Not much gain bolting the factory efi on an est engine using the vk efi system its a dud.
you need the rocker cover, fuel return line ,fuel rail injectors, efi inlet throttle body , extractors ,he1 distributor, efi tank , fuel pump a vr tank would do it. done it a few times in reality I was disappointed after driving my efi converted vk. then I put a 3.23 diff in it and made it drink more fuel. the efi motor had a better cam where the extra power the efi motor had probably came from from the few I played with when 6 cylinder vk commodores where worth nothing.
Cheers for the info! There’s a red 202 efi complete engine for sale and would that be a better substitute rather than upgrading the carb 202 that I currently have ?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Does the whole VN top end fit up? becuase I might know of a bloke parting out a 5L motor which spun the bearings

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does the whole VN top end fit up? becuase I might know of a bloke parting out a 5L motor which spun the bearings
OP has a 6 cylinder which last I looked only has one head sitting on top of the block... Meanwhile, an 8 cylinder has 2 shorterheads which would make it some MacGuyver mod to get it fit to a 202 block :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the info! There’s a red 202 efi complete engine for sale and would that be a better substitute rather than upgrading the carb 202 that I currently have ?
Isn’t the red motor from an earlier model than the black motor? I ask because installing a motor from your vehicle model range requires all components associated with the engine to be pulled in (including all pollution stuff). Such may not require engineering (but not sure)...

Installing from a later year model will also require pulling in all the ancillary pollution stuff and will require engineering certification. But from what I‘ve heard, it’s difficult/expensive to engineer a motor into a car that came from an older car, because of pollution issues...

Probably best to stick to a VK black motor which is when I think EFI was first introduced (I think the blue was an early VK motor replaced by the black 202) But if you need $$ spent on engineering, may as well consider going to a V8 of the era or even the RB30ET from the VL era...

Best to talk to a certifying engineer before you start the project... VicRoads has a page where they discuss all the rules as to what does and doesn’t need engineering and also has a list of certifying engineers for you to talk to... Google and the phone is your friend here :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Isn’t the red motor from an earlier model than the black motor? I ask because installing a motor from your vehicle model range requires all components associated with the engine to be pulled in (including all pollution stuff). Such may not require engineering (but not sure)...

Installing from a later year model will also require pulling in all the ancillary pollution stuff and will require engineering certification. But from what I‘ve heard, it’s difficult/expensive to engineer a motor into a car that came from an older car, because of pollution issues...

Probably best to stick to a VK black motor which is when I think EFI was first introduced (I think the blue was an early VK motor replaced by the black 202) But if you need $$ spent on engineering, may as well consider going to a V8 of the era or even the RB30ET from the VL era...

Best to talk to a certifying engineer before you start the project... VicRoads has a page where they discuss all the rules as to what does and doesn’t need engineering and also has a list of certifying engineers for you to talk to... Google and the phone is your friend here :)

A EFI style head (ie as in the black motor head) and emmission stuff can be placed onto a red motor...However there needs to be a water jacket drilled into the red motor block to match the black motor head....Therefore the pollution gear can be used and stick within the guidelines and probably not require engineering.

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk

Would love to go v8 or even a rb but my budget isn’t too high

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the efi 6 has a red rocker cover get the auto as well, an ole bloke told me mine was a guzzler as the efi trimatic has a different torque converter apparently it loads the auto up more don't know if he was talking sh*t or not. get the ecu and engine wiring loom all the wiring changes you need to do are where the old est box was if you get the efi engine loom.
Put an injected 5l and 4 speed auto in it disks on the back is my vote wont cost much more maybe now it will? 304 vn's were cheap a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
A EFI style head (ie as in the black motor head) and emmission stuff can be placed onto a red motor...However there needs to be a water jacket drilled into the red motor block to match the black motor head....Therefore the pollution gear can be used and stick within the guidelines and probably not require engineering.
Yes that may be true from an mechanical perspective, and interesting nevertheless, but some engineers have issue with using an older motor/block being that they came from a much older vehicle... Could be different these days from when mates did such things so it’s always worth talking to the rego authorities and an engineer to finding out exactly where the lines are drawn and which ones can be pushed and which can’t...

Obviously the best answer from an engineer would be no certification is needed. The likely answer may be you need to pay a few hundred dollars for certification. The worst answer after doing the work could be “you needed to use the black block otherwise pollution certification will run in the $1000’s so now your better off tossing the red block and changing it to a black block as the most cost effective way forward”...

It’s just like @Ron Burgundy engineer was pedantic about new calliper bolts and proof of where callipers were sourced to verify authenticity... I’d hate to do a brake conversion and then not have the ability to prove what’s needed or to have to find a more relaxed engineer (if there is such a beast)... It’s always easier to sort out such issues before they become a problem ;)

Reactions: Lex