Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby to efi conversion vk

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes that may be true from an mechanical perspective, and interesting nevertheless, but some engineers have issue with using an older motor/block being that they came from a much older vehicle... Could be different these days from when mates did such things so it’s always worth talking to the rego authorities and an engineer to finding out exactly where the lines are drawn and which ones can be pushed and which can’t...

Obviously the best answer from an engineer would be no certification is needed. The likely answer may be you need to pay a few hundred dollars for certification. The worst answer after doing the work could be “you needed to use the black block otherwise pollution certification will run in the $1000’s so now your better off tossing the red block and changing it to a black block as the most cost effective way forward”...

It’s just like @Ron Burgundy engineer was pedantic about new calliper bolts and proof of where callipers were sourced to verify authenticity... I’d hate to do a brake conversion and then not have the ability to prove what’s needed or to have to find a more relaxed engineer (if there is such a beast)... It’s always easier to sort out such issues before they become a problem ;)

Common practice is paint...If you paint a red block black, the only ways to tell it isn't a black is via the engine number or if it is an early block, the size on the block.....The later reds (as in the VB's) were actually 3.3 (there was others), which is identical to the black engine ie 3.3....I seriously doubt a roadworthy bloke would go through the trouble of engine number checking for build dates.

So there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, as it was :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So if I were to convert the black 202 it really wouldn’t be that expensive. I’m assuming reliability wise it would be a little better also.
only real reasonI’m looking into it is my 202 at the moment is starting for a second or 2 then cutting out completely

You could convert to EFI, but how do you know it would fix this issue to start with?

Reliability...My dirty ol' VC has been in my hands for 10 years or more...In that 10 years the only break downs I have had are 2 distributer modules...1 was old age, 1 was because it got wet when I degreased the motor.....1 coil crud itself due to old age.....That is it. The other issues I have had are general wear and tear issues, which all cars have...

The car is a daily driver.....And not a 100K a week daily either....It's not unusual for me to do at least 400K a week in that car....

The car is off the road at the moment, because I am upgrading the motor from a warm red to a warmer blue (might even be a black...too hard to tell as it has been painted a could of times in it life).....But I am still staying with a carby...

So the EFI being more reliable than carby? You make the call.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Correct that the doc is not for the VK system. It was provided to highlight how google can find things and I would have been clearer on that. Though that doc is not 100% it can help to provide some background as to how such systems work...

But it does sound like changing the distributor seems the more popular process most follow... to VH HEI distributor? to blue motor distributor? Not sure what distinction there is but it’s all been discussed within the VK section of the forum, probably many times.

EST is a pain in the rectum...Changing over to the HEI distributer makes the ignition system more reliable and to convert from EST to HEI is as simple as removing a distributer and putting another 1 in....There is also a part at the back of the block that has to be removed, but that's it...

10 minutes work for 10 years of reliability....

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
OP has a 6 cylinder which last I looked only has one head sitting on top of the block... Meanwhile, an 8 cylinder has 2 shorterheads which would make it some MacGuyver mod to get it fit to a 202 block :eek:
Sorry only saw EFI conversion and got excited

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's your first car or project fix what you have...get it running & enjoy for awhile!

Est is junk...common trick was hei dissy from vh model.
vacuum leaks....can cause unknown issues particulary if someboy has messed with the car
varijets are weird...they run well or they don't...sometimes they'll even get blamed all because choke doesn't work + no thermostat so car runs like dung.

Efi 202 models had better performance but again like most conversions these days best to start with complete donor car for fuel lines,wiring differences plus all little things that are different from efi to carb models...almost same amount of work to do 304 efi conversion if you're capable enough.

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
If it's your first car or project fix what you have...get it running & enjoy for awhile!

Est is junk...common trick was hei dissy from vh model.
vacuum leaks....can cause unknown issues particulary if someboy has messed with the car
varijets are weird...they run well or they don't...sometimes they'll even get blamed all because choke doesn't work + no thermostat so car runs like dung.

Efi 202 models had better performance but again like most conversions these days best to start with complete donor car for fuel lines,wiring differences plus all little things that are different from efi to carb models...almost same amount of work to do 304 efi conversion if you're capable enough.
Hei dizzys are the way to go hey, yeah it’s all a bit strange but I think I’ll be sticking with what I’ve got and then go from there

Reactions: Lex