Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cardio/Running thread

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'd never done it until my adult life :) I think about 2 years ago - first score was around the 7.6 mark, I'd been doing Crossfit for probably a year or so at that point so had a bit of fitness to start with.

It would have been good to do the beep test in high school I think, I was skateboarding every day and doing 100m in 14 seconds (not bad for a shortarse) so I reckon I could have given it a good crack.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I guess skipping is the best I do at the moment, Usually go for 5mins then stop for 1min then another 5mins.

geez mate! 10 mins of skipping is pretty hardore! we usually do 3 and 3 to warm up. hope youre changing up you skips, i.e. 1 foot, 2 feet, sweeps, kicks, high knees>repeat.

anyway, running is stupid. WAY too high impact for my frail body. mountain biking is where its at:

this weekend just gone, "wombat" up near mount macedon:
Biked 17.93 km on 2/03/13 on 2013-03-02 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

a few weekends ago at you-yangs:
Biked 26.42 km on 9/02/13 on 2013-02-09 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
geez mate! 10 mins of skipping is pretty hardore! we usually do 3 and 3 to warm up. hope youre changing up you skips, i.e. 1 foot, 2 feet, sweeps, kicks, high knees>repeat.

anyway, running is stupid. WAY too high impact for my frail body. mountain biking is where its at:

this weekend just gone, "wombat" up near mount macedon:
Biked 17.93 km on 2/03/13 on 2013-03-02 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

a few weekends ago at you-yangs:
Biked 26.42 km on 9/02/13 on 2013-02-09 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

yea I mix it up a little bit, switch left foot right foot, and get the knees up for a double skip. Started off struggling to do just 2mins of it.
I've been off work for just over a month so every morning I get into it and spend about an hour with skipping, weights then skipping again.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
10km today, late morning which means hot and sticky. That and a hilly course gave me a 5:16/km average.

When I got that 8.4 I was quite fit, sub 1:45 HM was no drama then. I was a bit disappointed with my score, but the instructor told me that beep test only does short burst speed/acceleration, not long distance stamina.

Nonetheless being fit helps long distance stamina; eg if you are doing a marathon and you notice you are breathing heavy, you are going too quick. The more cardio reserve you have the more fat you will burn rather than glycogen, staving off 'hitting the wall'. In the last marathon I did I went out too quick and hit the wall at about 25-27km.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I hate running, but I find the beep test is somewhat enjoyable, and because of how it works, I see it as a challenge rather than something I have to force myself to do. It's also self-scaling and easy to keep score of, and pushes you harder than simply running a set distance for time :). You can also mess around with the intervals, for example: rather than keeping pace with the beeps, sprint at each one, as hard as you can, and see how long you can do that for. Or, you could start at say - level 5, or 8, or 11, etc. and push yourself earlier on. I have to work out if I can do this with the app on my phone, because it's something I'd like to do every second week instead of doing it the same way every week.

Dude this is genius - thanks for the idea i dl an app and started this morning... i cant seem to motivate myself to run but the test paces for you and gives you definite stages so you can immediately see how you are relative.

Since it was my first run in a few years i set the baseline at stage 5 and will do 5.1 tomorrow etc until i reach a stall point and then slow down the progression. ill aim for 10 by the end of the year

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I've never much been into running, but jumped on the treadmill at the gym the other week and did a 2.5km jog in around 17mins. Was quite happy with that effort.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
21.1km run this morning in 16C-19C weather, but humidity was 100%, going down to 80% (i.e. very tropical). Took 1:52:57.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello all,

Just to update....Canberra Marathon was done in 4:05:15.

Am now prepping for the City to Surf and Sydney Marathon.....for C2S am in the gold group, running for Camp Quality.

Last weekend did the Bathurst CSU 1/2 Marathon in 1:51:02; was in ideal conditions on a dead flat course. In my prime (15 months ago) would have gone under 1:43 probably.....
Yesterday was 26.3km on a hilly road/cement course at a slow-ish 5:31/km, today was an insanely hilly 10km effort on a rocky/slippery firetrail at 5:43/km w/ the local runners club......