Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cardio/Running thread

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

This thread is aimed for people who want to discuss cardio activities, such as walking, running, cycling, swimming and even triathlons.

To open.....

I went for a 10.15km run into town and back, at a 5:10/km average. Lots of Saturday traffic about slowed me up.

I am currently training for the Canberra marathon, where I hope to break my PB of 4:09:37. To get under 4 hrs would be even better.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
That's a good effort.. I've just started barefoot running.. Well not barefoot but not running in joggers.. I just wear volleys.. The aim is to stop heel striking..

Mass murder on your calves.. Can only do about 3km at a time..

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
God I hate running, you lot expanding the fitness section is giving me a guilt complex, pleese stahp!!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I hate running, but I find the beep test is somewhat enjoyable, and because of how it works, I see it as a challenge rather than something I have to force myself to do. It's also self-scaling and easy to keep score of, and pushes you harder than simply running a set distance for time :). You can also mess around with the intervals, for example: rather than keeping pace with the beeps, sprint at each one, as hard as you can, and see how long you can do that for. Or, you could start at say - level 5, or 8, or 11, etc. and push yourself earlier on. I have to work out if I can do this with the app on my phone, because it's something I'd like to do every second week instead of doing it the same way every week.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
7km hilly run, 5:10/km average. improvised route, got a bit lost...

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I physically cant run due to a extremely severe accident giving me permanent injuries so I have started to get into walking after how much weight Ive put on.

most recently I decided id go for a 12km walk for charity without any training what so ever...I managed to knock it out in 2hrs 47min and was very impressed with myself so now im just gonna start walking as much as my body will allow me and try break the 2hrs 20 min mark :)

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I guess skipping is the best I do at the moment, Usually go for 5mins then stop for 1min then another 5mins.
Smoking for 20 years has made me a little unfit in the breathing department, But thats changing.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hate running, but I find the beep test is somewhat enjoyable, and because of how it works, I see it as a challenge rather than something I have to force myself to do. It's also self-scaling and easy to keep score of, and pushes you harder than simply running a set distance for time :). You can also mess around with the intervals, for example: rather than keeping pace with the beeps, sprint at each one, as hard as you can, and see how long you can do that for. Or, you could start at say - level 5, or 8, or 11, etc. and push yourself earlier on. I have to work out if I can do this with the app on my phone, because it's something I'd like to do every second week instead of doing it the same way every week.

What is you best result on a std beep test? I once got an 8.4. Good enough for the army but not quite there for the SAS.

My eventual goal is to be SAS-fit. I have no desire of joining the SAS, but it would be the confidence knowing I could if I wanted to.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
c2105026 - As I'm training to get into the fire brigade full time (requires 9.6 for full time, 8.7 for retained) I generally try to get a minimum of 9.8. My best is 10.5, but lately I've been a bit off, so the last three weeks have been 7.10, 8.6 and 9.6 respectively.

I always do the beep test on the first day of my workout cycle so I'm fully rested for it, it also means I'm more likely to get consistent results, rather than having my performance dependent on how I went with the deadlifts/squats/cleans/whatever I did the day before :)

Still, anything above 8 is a good score, IMO :) I could probably score higher than I have been if I went to failure but I tend to just 'get over it' and stop instead >.>

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I haven't done a beep test since High School, but was high 10's in year 8-10 but haven't done one in my adult life.

I love running but I get bored after about 5 k's so I throw a few sprints in there and run at a strong pace just to make it worthwhile doing such a small distance. Running down to the beach and having a swim at halfway breaks up the boredom too. I've had some ankle issues (gout and basketball injuries) so I've only managed a few short and easy runs in the last 8 weeks.