Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cardio/Running thread

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Fair effort, with I had the stamina to do that.
I'm a swimmer, albeit a quite slow one but swim for an hour once a week and have done for since I was 5 years old. Do anywhere between 1.5-3kms in a session depending on what we do, as most weeks we mix a bit of out of pool fitness stuff in as well (pushups, situps etc.). Times wise I do 1km in around 20 minutes and 2km in 41, have done 3km and 4km swims in the past but not recently.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Alternating between running and cycling , is what works for me , although running is a bit better for dropping weight

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So after 1 and a half months of no gym I have decided today is the day I get healthy again. I am just in the planning stages at the moment but I am planning to go for runs a minimum of after tafe every day (4 days a week) if not the other 3 days. I just went then and I think I made a few rookie mistakes.

1) No water bottle Doh
2) Didn't stretch - I cant feel any tightness yet but I reckon I will
3) too hard too fast

At the moment I am just starting (never really been a runner/jogger) so I am just doing a base

1km full run to my local school.
3 sets of -
Lap of 500m oval
run up the stairs
20 push ups

1km run/jog home

I will be interested to see my progress in a months or two time since I have never really been into running that much.

I am quite happy I have gotten back into the whole thing. it's an awesome feeling that it just clicked in my head " You are going to get healthy again"

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
After having a boozy food filled weekend getting back into it. did 30 minute jog on treadmill this evening. Have sights set on my 4th and possibly last marathon in 7 months time.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
So after 1 and a half months of no gym I have decided today is the day I get healthy again. I am just in the planning stages at the moment but I am planning to go for runs a minimum of after tafe every day (4 days a week) if not the other 3 days. I just went then and I think I made a few rookie mistakes.

1) No water bottle Doh
2) Didn't stretch - I cant feel any tightness yet but I reckon I will
3) too hard too fast

At the moment I am just starting (never really been a runner/jogger) so I am just doing a base

1km full run to my local school.
3 sets of -
Lap of 500m oval
run up the stairs
20 push ups

1km run/jog home

I will be interested to see my progress in a months or two time since I have never really been into running that much.

I am quite happy I have gotten back into the whole thing. it's an awesome feeling that it just clicked in my head " You are going to get healthy again"

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

If you have never really run before, be wary of getting into running continously too soon. When I started running I injured pretty much everything that could be injured.
It is more important to stretch after exercise than before.
If you are going to do this often it may be an idea to invest in proper fitted running shoes to prevent injury.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alternating between running and cycling , is what works for me , although running is a bit better for dropping weight

It is; cycling is actually the most energy efficient form of transport available, which means you won't burn that much energy as compared to walking or running, especially if you are in flat terrain. In fact many people cycle in normal everyday clothes if they are commuting/going at slower speed. However, provided that you don't fall off, cycling is far safer as far as injuries go, much less than running.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It is; cycling is actually the most energy efficient form of transport available, which means you won't burn that much energy as compared to walking or running, especially if you are in flat terrain. In fact many people cycle in normal everyday clothes if they are commuting/going at slower speed. However, provided that you don't fall off, cycling is far safer as far as injuries go, much less than running.

Quite right cycling is easier on the joints and so on , but as you say provided you don't fall off you are fine , or get slammed by a truck or car , which given the way some people drive , and cycle is a real possibility

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Wanna get real fit... I did the P90x series and got great results. Yoga makes the guys tease you but you sweat MORE than the cardio. Since then I went to INSANITY which is ridiculously hard cardio - my heart rate stays about 180bpm the whole time. From all this I reached 13 on the beep test!
Well worth it

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Day 2-

Altered my routine just a bit. Instead of doing a stop at the oval and doing laps I have decided to kind of do a trip around the suburb.

I didn't get to time it but I think it was about 30-35 minutes and mostly on concrete flat surface. It feels a lot better than the grass on the oval since it is all patchy and contoured (hope that's the right word).
I do like a full run at the start for a while then cut it back a bit to a medium pace jog.
Just before a checkpoint (usually a bus stop or something) I bolt the last 100 metres full pace.
walk it off/drink for a short minute - 2 minute brake then start back off at a medium pace

Noob question time :

When you guys are running/jogging do you land on the part of your foot behind the toes or the heal?

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
That's good man, time it tomorrow. Find the distance too. Will be good for your own records

I lands on the front of my feet, and spring off my toes.