Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cardio/Running thread

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
heel striking wastes energy and can lead to injury. landing on the ball of your foot can also cause injury. A mid-foot strike is best. If you are concerned about heel striking consider getting some minimalist shoes eg. brooks pureflow. These shoes are impossible to heel strike in. However the structure of toe area make them a little awkward to walk in.

Distance can be measured on google earth or on mapmyrun.com. If you are really keen consider getting a GPS watch, it will measure distance automatically but isn't as accurate as measuring it on the web.

anyway just now went for a 7.64k made-up-as-i-went-along jog around the local housing subdivision, took 44:35 (5:50/km) Its normally a desolate sort of place, but the fog and drizzle accentuated the surrounding hills and forests.

Uriah005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Cardio are the best tools for the fitness purposes, that's why most of the trainer and fitness experts recommend the cardio exercise to manage the body weight and enhance the fitness level.
I also do cardio exercise in my routine workout. I do jogging, running, swimming, cycling, and rope jumping in my daily workout.
Through this cardio workout plan I have controlled my weight to great extent and also enhanced my fitness level and stamina for my physical activities.

adamprowse personal trainer

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Cardio are the best tools for the fitness purposes, that's why most of the trainer and fitness experts recommend the cardio exercise to manage the body weight and enhance the fitness level.
I also do cardio exercise in my routine workout. I do jogging, running, swimming, cycling, and rope jumping in my daily workout.
Through this cardio workout plan I have controlled my weight to great extent and also enhanced my fitness level and stamina for my physical activities.

This is good advice I've found since running regularly it's kept my weight down , if I run before my weight circuit it's kicks what is called the after burner effect , where you can burn more calories when you have finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

b_lake1

Salt Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY Calais
For those with very little time to squeeze in a workout I suggest Tabata style workouts otherwise more commonly known as HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. A quick 5 min circuit, if done correctly, has more effect than if you went for a 30 min run. I stand by Tabata/HIIT and do a 5 min circuit before and after a weight session, have been doing this for approx. 3 months and am now sitting at about 13% body fat, down from 17%. Also, I do regular beep tests every 6 months for work and since jamming Tabata/HIIT I have improved my max out to 12.1 up from 10.4. If weight circuits are done (which in my opinion also help with cardio), strength increases can be seen.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
For those with very little time to squeeze in a workout I suggest Tabata style workouts otherwise more commonly known as HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. A quick 5 min circuit, if done correctly, has more effect than if you went for a 30 min run. I stand by Tabata/HIIT and do a 5 min circuit before and after a weight session, have been doing this for approx. 3 months and am now sitting at about 13% body fat, down from 17%. Also, I do regular beep tests every 6 months for work and since jamming Tabata/HIIT I have improved my max out to 12.1 up from 10.4. If weight circuits are done (which in my opinion also help with cardio), strength increases can be seen.

Good call also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Wow. This proved an unpopular topic. Started in 2013, and no entries since the end of that year. I have always wanted to raise an old thread up from the dead, so here is my chance.

I am well into my 70's. I experienced as serious knee injury playing rugby when 17. While I could not take knocks or twist, life was relatively normal until my 50's. After that, pain in the knee stopped running as an option (I used to run 10 to 15 km, at about 4:00 a km in my 30's and early 40's.) That and a couple of kids playing semi-professional sport while younger than car licence age stopped my cardio program dead for about 15 years.

On retiring, I moved to a regional coastal area, and took up walking for exercise. It went well for a couple of years until a near fall caused much aggravation of the knee. With a limp still after about 5 months, I decided the time was right to do something about that knee. An MRI showed absolutely no cartilage at all, no evidence of any ACL or PCL and the tibia horn almost entirely worn away. The only real option available was a total knee replacement.

It is now about 21 months since that operation. The difference has been astounding. I am under doctor orders not to run, but can walk as much as I like. That I do, routinely averaging over 100 km fast walking each week. I currently use a Fitbit Versa 3, which over time has estimated my cardio fitness at 46-50, over 20% higher than the cutoff for excellent for my age. I find walking along coastal and river paths, and even the beach, in my area therapeutic and interesting. On the lines of use it or lose it, I would recommend fast walking as an exercise for all.