Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Career Choices - your experiences

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm considering opening up .....a bakery

Just be careful if you go the franchise route, particularly anything involved with Retail Food Group (RFG). Have a google around for their unscrupulous tactics.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No would never go franchise, they suck you in. Besides my quality is way better than any franchise I have ever bought from.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
LOSH 1971....I like your suggestion of opening up a mechanical style workshop, however I feel that there are way too many as it is and the chances of succeeding in that field are very slim....From what I am seeing in the state I live (and yes I am aware it is different to EYY), every man and his dog is opening one up and trying to under cut the next, which is leading to closures and financial ruin.

Food for thought

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I was actually asked if I wanted to work from home towards the end of last year when I mentioned I was resigning - but I think it's important to keep home and work separate to a degree.

IF I were to work towards starting a business, it'd be buying older vehicles, restoring and selling them. That'd be a long term thing though - would need the capital to purchase a factory which isn't possible in the short term, especially since a house is the first priority. Have discussed potential business plans with mates before, but there's the possibility of it all going sour. To succeed it's just a matter of having a point of difference which gives competitive advantage I suppose.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
To succeed it's just a matter of having a point of difference which gives competitive advantage I suppose.

A mechanical engineering degree would give you that.....esp if you can engineer the vehicles that you build in house.

One stop shop for the customer.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Was going to say when I started reading this thread that mechanical engineering was one good possible choice and one day have your own business , accounting wouldn't hurt with that either .
When I did the bigger brakes and supercharger on the monaro got it engineered , very simple job for him but gives me peace of mind and no problems if you're ever pulled over and really want to question it.
Anyway this engineers business was obviously engineering but also paint and panel work, full vehicle restorations , had some really old cars in there through to mustags , 70s fords, monaro 70s one. Can see the attraction, one stop shop, especially if you're getting it modified as well .
While some say don't mix work with hobbies , every one's different and what works for some doesn't for others.
One thing is for sure if you end up with your own business it especially helps if you have plenty of passion for what you're doing .
With the mechanical engineering could also end up in aviation although the number of opportunities would be more limited .
Have to say I've been pretty lucky, worked for my father for a year when I left school but always wanted to get into aviation and got a apprenticeship the following year. 37 years and 2 redundancies later still doing pretty much the same thing and enjoying it.
Variety helps, Oh and 4 10 hour days so 3 day weekend every weekend.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Inhernatly we are always looking negatively on our jobs especially if there for a while. I used to work in project management after doing a grad dip in engineering (not the full mechanical eng degree). It also gave me a default trade qualification so last 13yrs I been out of the office and work for myself as a contractor. The only drag is the paperwork and managing cashflow. The good of workin for yourself is the freedom with decisions.

Eventually I’ll go work for someone else as now I’m on the wrong side of 50 and the body is starting to whinge a little. Not sure if I’ll go back to project management or just do a meanial job like working in a women’s shoe shop or underwear shop. Surely they will give a creepy old pervert a job in either shop. I’ll pay them the $14/hr.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
A job that doesn't feel like work, waking up and thinking "finally the day is starting", going to bed and reflecting on how great that day was and getting ready to dream of ways to make the next one better.

Teaching used to be like that. I was working at BSDE, distance education. The hours are longer than most people imagine because we take our jobs and marking home with us. It is a huge shock if the money earnt is divided by the hours put in and holidays aren't really holidays either.

The work environment, the people you interact with at work and a feeling that you are making a positive difference in the world is the job you want.