Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cargo Barrier Pictures

boobotam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have purchased a second hand VT cargo barrier, with the lower hooks, and pulling up rear carpet is very easy to see where they attach, but I was wondering if anyone can send pictures of where to open the roof lining to attach the top mounts?

Cheers in advance Matt

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi all,

I have purchased a second hand VT cargo barrier, with the lower hooks, and pulling up rear carpet is very easy to see where they attach, but I was wondering if anyone can send pictures of where to open the roof lining to attach the top mounts?

Cheers in advance Matt

Matt

I assume you have a VZ wagon. If that is the case,the mounting points are already fitted to the roof. They are the four plastic fittings with centre holes (2 each side). There is a forward and rearward mounting position (one for the rear seat up, the other for the rear seat down.) Have a look at your owner's handbook - I'm sure there are instructions in there.

Having said that, the upper mounting set-up for the VT is different to the VZ. The VT uses two large T shaped screws which thread into the roof mountings. The VZ uses a spring loaded bayonet fitting to do the same job.

My son purchased a VT barrier and I had to make up new upper mounting "bolts" to fit the roof fittings.

boobotam

Reaction score
Matt

I assume you have a VZ wagon. If that is the case,the mounting points are already fitted to the roof. They are the four plastic fittings with centre holes (2 each side). There is a forward and rearward mounting position (one for the rear seat up, the other for the rear seat down.) Have a look at your owner's handbook - I'm sure there are instructions in there.

Having said that, the upper mounting set-up for the VT is different to the VZ. The VT uses two large T shaped screws which thread into the roof mountings. The VZ uses a spring loaded bayonet fitting to do the same job.

My son purchased a VT barrier and I had to make up new upper mounting "bolts" to fit the roof fittings.

Sorry yes it is a VZ wagon 04 model, I however cant see an obvious position the top mounting points fit? Are they behind the fabric roof lining or the plastic molded covers? I will check the book also. However from what you have suggested I also will have to modify, as it is a VT barrier and I assume its series one also? as it has the hooks and requires the floor and carpet to be cut up.

Cheers again Matt

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Sorry yes it is a VZ wagon 04 model, I however cant see an obvious position the top mounting points fit? Are they behind the fabric roof lining or the plastic molded covers? I will check the book also. However from what you have suggested I also will have to modify, as it is a VT barrier and I assume its series one also? as it has the hooks and requires the floor and carpet to be cut up.

Cheers again Matt

Matt

My son's car is an Acclaim and was an ex-company car. From the wear in the back cargo area, it was obvious that the car had previously been fitted with a barrier, but this had been removed prior to sale to my son. That meant it already had the four fittings inside up in the hoodlining. Perhaps they are only fitted if the barrier is optioned - I thought they were a standard fitting on all wagons.

If they are not present in your car, then you will need to locate the points where they go. I just had a look inside my son's car and it could be that they are only added as part of the barrier installation.

They are located behind the fabric hood lining immediately above the plastic surround above the rear side window, and immediately in front of the rear passenger grab handle and light assembly over the back door. The one near the handle would be easy to find, just feel firmly along the headlining and you wil feel the recess in the roof frame. The second (ie rearward) holes are located above the join in that plastic surround above the rear side window. Have a look and you will see where two pieces of plastic surround come together above the window. The hole is just above that join.

The mounting holes are punched through the roof structure and comprise a hole about 15 mm in diameter, with a small recess on either side. The headlining is just cut out in a small circle to reveal the roof frame. The plastic covers then clip into the holes and hide the cuts in the hood lining.

To fit the barrier, the upper mounting bolts are spring loaded, and resemble a pin that is a neat fit into the hole in the roof, with a smaller pin protruding from either side. You simply push the spring loaced pin into the hole and turn it 90 degrees. The spring keeps the bolt from turning further and falling out. I made mine from cut-off bolts, with a hole drilled through to accommodate a cut off nail. The bolt was passed through the upper mounting bracket on the barrier with a small spring fitted to the bolt on the outside of the bracket, then the pin was pushed in and locked in place. You cannot buy these bolts as a separate part - they are sold only as part of the VZ barrier.

It took me a couple of hours to make up the bolts, but you will need to get the upper holes cut out too. You might find that the plastic surrounds for the holes are also sold only as part of the VZ kit, so a visit to your dealer or wreckers might be necessary.

Feel free to ask any further questions if you have them. Good luck with the installation.

boobotam

Reaction score
Cheers again,

I pulled the plastic molding off last night and located the rear points, looks like I will have to order the plastic covers to make it look the part.

It is also in the manual, it pays to actually open it once in a while :whistling hahaha.

Thanks again for your help! it has got me sorted for free!

Cheers Matt