Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car's playing up. All electrics lost.

Goolz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Hey guys. For some reason my VY (Berlina V6) has got a tummy ache of some sorts.

The car was running and driving fine, everything was working like normal. Out of nowhere, I get a 'Check alternator' alert and then lose all of my electrics.
Dash lights, cluster, head unit, headlights (both low and high beam) all gone. Only thing that works is the indicators.

The engine doesn't cut out though. Still starts, runs and drives no problem. But I also receive ABS fault and SRS airbag alerts, as well as the alternator alert.

Pulled over, turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes. Car still locks and unlocks. And still starts up no problem (So I think battery is okay). Interior electrics (head unit, cluster, etc) come back on but have still have no headlights.

Any idea what it could be? I'll call a mechanic first thing Monday morning but for now, any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Either the voltage regulator on the alternator is faulty (probably overcharging), or the ABS module is faulty but most like the alternator. Seems to be a common issue, it's the third time in a week it's come up on the forum.

Goolz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Either the voltage regulator on the alternator is faulty (probably overcharging), or the ABS module is faulty but most like the alternator. Seems to be a common issue, it's the third time in a week it's come up on the forum.
I’ll look into it. I’m hoping it’s just the alternator. Strangely enough I’ve never heard of an alternator stuffing up like this

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
When my voltage regulator on the alternator went luckily it was in the daytime so didn't notice any headlight issues but i lost all my dash and climate control never got a single ABS or SRS fault or any other fault light on the dash. still freaked me out.
mine was overcharging